sponsorship for work in ACT

GlennNatty

Hello everyone, i just wondered if anyone has any views on living and working in ACT as it's not really a place I hear people talking about in regards to living and working!! It is the only state at the moment that is recruiting Prison Officers from the UK with sponsorship. Any help or guidance on any issue would be greatly appreciated in regards to Correctional Services and housing in the area. I also wondered why this is the only state recruiting at present!!

Many thanks

Glenn

Any posts ive seen coming from people living there have been positive ones.

Maybe it goes under the radar for Brits cos it hasnt got the "beach on the doorstep" kinda living that a lot of us poms are looking for.

Everbody complains that this state or that state is so expensive.

We have an Aussie living with us at the moment from NSW. He went out to do some shopping last weekend, buying the stuff he normal does. Came back saying that the supermarket in Perth was much moreexpensive than his local branch and the only place he found to be more expensive was Canberra.

So that may be something to take into consideration.

Thanks for that Fifi69 (great name), it's something to consider but there looks some lovely areas to live I've had a quick look!! Would much prefer Perth to be honest though, coz we have friends in Secret Harbour and Canning Vale!! The wife is a nurse so we are looking at the moment.

A lot of nurses on this site living and working in Perth. If you fancy and already have friends here, could your wife be the main applicant?

A lot of people gearing up for the opening of Fiona Stanley Hospital in Murdoch next year.

OH was first offered a job in Canberra, we did a lot of research on it plus a lot of talking it thru. However much it was tempting, we turned it down. We just knew it wasnt for us.

You are on this site because you want to move, for whatever reasons. If ACT ticks all your boxes then go for it, if it doesnt then dont do it just for the sake of moving to Oz.

Guest Bazinga

I suggest posting this in the ACT forum too. I love Canberra. As far as I know the prison is south Canberra so you'd be wanting to live down there or over the border in queanbeyan or jerrabombera. Goulburn have a huge prison too (NSW) I think they are recruiting because theyve recently expanded but don't quote me on that!

http://www.cs.act.gov.au/custodial_operations

Do you know if the Fiona Stanley are recruiting over here with sponsorship?? We only looked at ACT coz they are recruiting Prison Officers just a shame that Western Oz arn't yet. But fingers crossed in the future!! Got a friend in the job over there plus an old work colleague is now in the Perth Police.

Guest Bazinga

Get your foot in the door then think abt a move. I've friends who came to Canberra for 2 yrs but now moving to Perth to be closer to family. As a nurse your wife will get work in the ACT for sure.

Interesting that they are sponsoring prison officers but there are no job vacancies advertised at the moment and the pool of possible opportunities is limited to the McConachie Centre or possibly Bimberi (youth detention centre). I hope it isnt a bum steer and another case of where the occupational needs lags the demand. McConachie Centre is a "human rights" prison which could be anathema to those who have a more traditional approach. It doesnt get the best of news coverage either unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with Canberra, especially if you have kids. It has the best of both worlds of being a city without the urban sprawl of Sydney or Melbourne (its got an urban sprawl but miniscule in comparison) and a country town with everything within cooee. It has the best weather with 4 seasons (hot in summer, cold in winter but generally very dry), it's close to snow fields or the beach (2.5hrs and 2 hrs respectively) and Sydney in 2-3hrs up a dual carriage way and 120kph all the way. The facilities are excellent and there is plenty to do if you get out and look for it. You can see the bush from anywhere in town. I'd much rather live in Canberra than any of the other major cities. On the down side, properties are expensive to rent and buy, most families have to be two income to make ends meet, there isnt a great sense of community but that is fairly typical of larger cities, everything is very PC.

Archived