School Years??

Guest IanP

Hi,

Quick question, my 2 boys will be coming to Sydney this year and will go to school, can anybody let me know which year they will go into?

8yr old September birth, uk year 3

10yr old May birth, uk year 6, would be starting uk seniors yr7 in september

Thanks

ian

If you arrive, say, July this year, you will be part way through the year. The boys will have 2 terms of this year - the academic year here is Feb- Dec

If your 8 year old turned 8 last September (07) he will be in year 3 in NSW and will be in the older half of the cohort.

If your 10 year old turned 10 last May (07) and is turning 11 before you arrive in June then you have a choice. He would either be one of the youngest in Year 6 or one of the oldest in Year 5 (the cut off is end July so some May birthday kids may have been kept back, being younger)

I am sure you can adjust if I have made incorrect assumptions about when they turn their ages. Hope that helps.

Naming the years in NSW the first year of full time school is Kindergarten so year 3 is in fact the 4th year of full time school.

Hi what would you say would be the easiest age for a child to transfer schools? My daughter is 10, Many thanks

Generally, the younger they are the easier it is.

There are advantages to starting a school year along with everyone else but then again those can be offset by the honeymoon period of being a new girl and the focus of everyones attention if she starts during the year. If she has some time in a primary school then she would be going on to HS with at least a few friends but OTOH if she starts new at a HS then so will everyone else!

Simple answer is that there is no simple answer, there are pros and cons for whatever alternative. Only thing is that if you leave it until she is an older teen she may, like others on here have found, be very settled into her social cohort and give you a whole heap of stress if you try and separate her from it!!!!

Guest One-And-Only

Year 1: The year you turn 6

Year 2: The year you turn 7

Year 3: The year you turn 8

Year 4: The year you turn 9

Year 5: The year you turn 10

Year 6: The year you turn 11

Year 7: The year you turn 12

Year 8: The year you turn 13

Year 9: The year you turn 14

Year 10: The year you turn 15

Year 11: The year you turn 16