credit file - credit cards - mobile phone contracts the works

kxyzle

just wondering what everyones experiences are with this.

im told obtaining a credit card in australia can be hard

what would be the best way to start your credit file?

i know companies like harvey norman do lay by but im thinking can a new permanent resident go out and get a mobile phone contract? or would you start with a credit card? or is there something better to start with to get a credit file started?

im also assuming that having a job would be a requirement -ha but would i have to be in austraila for a number of months before considering anything like this?

Credit works differently over here - you aren't rewarded the more you take out, like in the UK, by being allowed even.more - you are allowed a certain amount based on how much you can repay, and as you take out more credit it eats into that allowance as it were.

Ie, more credit is not a good thing here. To get credit you generally need a couple of paychecks (remembering that you often get paid every week or two here, rather than monthly), but you can speak to your bank if you desperately need a credit card once you get here, they may give you a lower limit card as a migrant. Mobile phone wise, just use your UK handset with a payg Ozzie simcard to start - decent rates, and no issues with being rejected etc, which would be marked as a credit declined mark on your file to all intents and purposes.

Hope that helps a bit - there is no need to get into debt in oz, for any reason, least of all to help get more into debt (eg with a mortgage :)) how sensible, eh?! :)

If your PR and have a job you should be able to get credit cards pretty quickly. You will probably have to have about three months worth of wages going into your bank for a credit card with your bank, other compaines it just depends on if you meet their requirments.

I'm on a 457 long stay business visa and have been here 6 months, I've got a few credit cards and mobile phone contracts that where all applied for after only being here two months.

My advice is get your Aussie driving licence asap, it's the best way of proving who you are and most ID checks always ask for a driving licence number.

Everything starts fresh again over here regardless of your UK history (good or bad).

thanks for that. its strange coming from the uk and thinking i need to get credit to start a credit file if it doesn't help. i was mainly thinking could i go out and get a mobile straight away and credit card with small amount would be nice as at the moment use a credit card all month and pay it off every month.

thanks for that. its strange coming from the uk and thinking i need to get credit to start a credit file if it doesn't help. i was mainly thinking could i go out and get a mobile straight away and credit card with small amount would be nice as at the moment use a credit card all month and pay it off every month.

why don't you just continue doing that with the same card?

because i cant pay it off from an aus bank account (can i??) and if i had to transfer money back to the uk it would cost to convert so just extra spend which i dont want.

You will get foreign transaction charges every time you use the card (unless your card issuer does not charge them i.e Nationwide).

There's a thread that I posted regarding Lebara PAYG mobile sim's which you should consider for you first couple of months.

In fact I am still using Lebara now as it's a great deal (umlimted aussie calls and texts, 3GB of internet and unlimited calls to UK mobiles and landlines for $40). I don't need a new phone and even the sim only contracts are not a patch on the Lebara deal, so there's no point signing up to an Aussie contract at the moment.

If I was you I would do the following

Open a bank account before you arrive (I'm with NAB and can't fault them)

Get your TFN sorted out before you arrive. (once both those steps are complete you should have no issues with your payrole department regarding wages)

When you land get Medicare registered asap after the inital 10 day waiting period (you will then have your Mediacare number/card)

Once you have a home address sorted and have a rental contract or utility bill, that should be enough doucmentation for your 100 point ID check (I'd also take your passport with you).

You then should apply for your Aussie driving licence which makes life a whole lot easier and quicker. By then you should have no issue getting credit (instore or online) and you will probably have had a couple of wages go into the bank.

I landed at the beginning of September and had my first credit card application accepted around the 25th October and I'm on a 457 visa not PR.

I know some forms of credit are generally not avaliable if your not PR, so you should have no trouble if you are PR and have all the right doucments with you.

can you get a tfn before entering australia? i thought you had to be there first?

Yes you need to be here, but do it the day you land.

You won't get credit without having a job of course. I would leave it a few months before trying to get any credit, maybe even get a visa debit for convenience of using visa.

We have been here 2 months only had to have 1 payslip to be approved for credit cards with Westpac... Easy peasy had them after Xmas once started work and seeing as most companies pay weekly it is just this first payslip we needed!!!!!

Just so you know you cannot do your TFN until you are in the country, Do it the day you arrive. You will see online that you cannot do it until you arrive too.(I tried to sort these before we came.. You cannot)

Phone contracts... This is stupid but unless you have an Aussie driving license you cannot get one!!!!! Passport doesnt suffice and your application will get rejected.. Its quite discriminating and i have had a few arguments with Telstra about this....

Hope this helps

because i cant pay it off from an aus bank account (can i??) and if i had to transfer money back to the uk it would cost to convert so just extra spend which i dont want.

Sign up to MoneyCorp through the links on the site and you can transfer money for nothing, sending it either to your UK bank account or direct to. Your credit card.

I stand corrected regarding the TFN, I remember applying for it online about 2 weeks after landing (after being told if I did not get one to payroll within 24 hours I was not getting paid) and it being pretty quick and straight forward to do. I just put in my visa, work details and address so wrongly assumed you could apply for it before hand.

Regarding mobiles 100 points check you should be okay with your passport instead of your driving licence for Optus (I think it's 60 points). The you just supply some bills, bank statements showing your address and you should be fine.

Archived