Electrician visa but working as manager

Tilsbury

Hi everyone, looking for guidance with my visa application as an electrician (general).

The TRA skills assessment guidance states that I need to have completed 12 months employment in my nominated occupation, or in a closely related occupation where you are required to maintain your skill level for the nominated occupation, in the last 2 years immediately before applying.

I am a qualified electrician, having completed a full C&G apprenticeship at the age of 20 (I'm now 43), and have always worked in the trade but have worked my way up through my current company to a management role (electrical project manager) in an office position for the last 8 years.

Would anyone know if this constitutes a closely related occupation as I still need to maintain my skills and on occasion carry out manual work on site?

Hope someone can help as age is not on my side!

I don't think it will be classed as closely related.

I am a fully qualified electrician but now work as an electrical design engineer (consultant), I know that these occupants are not classed as being closely related by the oz government - crazy if you ask me!!!

Its all about unit groups. Occupants are grouped together, groups are identified by the first 2, maybe 3, numbers of the occupation code. To be classed as closely related it needs to be in the same unit group. I had a link saved but I can't find it now, I'll keep looking and post it when I find it - sorry its all a bit vague!

You may need to look at other occupations and find one which closely matches your work activities and how you meet the criteria they ask for.

Thanks for your reply - most helpful. Very concerned that this may be the end of the road for us but determined not to give up! Can't believe that my progression from electrician to a managerial position will end up being detrimental to my visa application.

At this stage I'd appreciate all advice that anyone can offer.

Just to throw a different slant on it. If you're an electrical project manager, why not look at the more white collar roles and do your skills assessment with Engineers Australia.

Electrical Engineer 233311

Engineering Manager 133211

Engineering Technologist 233914

Have a look if them Anzsco code match your job description. I'm unsure of what other qualifications you have, If you haven't done an engineering degree or a management degree then you would have to go down the CDR route but check you meet the pre-requisites.

Edit: You still get 15 points upto age 45, so don't throw the towel in. If it were me I'd consider a recommended agent of this forum, if they say no chance then at least you have properly explored avenues.. chances are they will have other alternatives and a more robust visa strategy.

Thanks for replying, very helpful advice. Having reviewed your suggestions it looks like engineering manager matches my job description. I will need to go down the CDR route as I don't have any formal qualifications, other than my C&G as an electrician. I seem to be reading conflicting information re my lack of degree, does anyone know of anyone that has gone down the CDR route with no qualifications and been successful?

Thanks for replying, very helpful advice. Having reviewed your suggestions it looks like engineering manager matches my job description. I will need to go down the CDR route as I don't have any formal qualifications, other than my C&G as an electrician. I seem to be reading conflicting information re my lack of degree, does anyone know of anyone that has gone down the CDR route with no qualifications and been successful?

I think the most important question you need to ask is are you prepared to go back to being on the tools and being an apprentice for a year, doing homework and filling out a logbook, because you will be need to be very, very lucky to walk straight in to a management job again as most supervisory or electrical management roles will require you to have your A grade license which means 1 year gap training!

Thanks for your reply.

I am totally committed to making this move a success and fully prepared to start at the bottom where required.

I have looked into the VETASSESS requirements for Electrician General, so guess that is my next step. Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks again

Thanks for your reply.

I am totally committed to making this move a success and fully prepared to start at the bottom where required.

I have looked into the VETASSESS requirements for Electrician General, so guess that is my next step. Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks again

Well you are working for an electrical contracting company i presume, so if you are applying as an electrician just say you are employed as one

Well you are working for an electrical contracting company i presume, so if you are applying as an electrician just say you are employed as one

Might not be that easy. They want a lot of info about what job you do, references etc. if he is getting paid more than you usually would they could very well question that too.

If engineering manager is what fits his job, that is what he should be applying as.

• 2 months later...

We had this exact same question and after sitting with vetassess staff during an australia expo in manchester recently they confirmed that my husband would be able to apply as an electrician as it is a closely related and he is working within the same sector. My husband is an electrical project engineer. They said if you had gone off and been a shop worker for the last 10 years and then tried to apply as an electrician it would be different but because you are working within the same trade it would be ok.

His whole job is based around electrical installations. He has over 15 years experience as an electrician. He is closely involved with the whole technical side of the job. We explained all of this to vetassess and they didn't think they're would be a problem.

Having reviewed your suggestions it looks like engineering manager matches my job description

It is not easy to obtain a positive PASA skills assessment as an Engineering Manager from Engineers Australia and it is harder to get one from the other relevant assessing authority, AIM.

Archived