Recently arrived in canberra from brisbane

Laguna

We arrived in Canberra (myself, husband and three children ages 14, 11 and 9) on Tuesday and are desperately trying to find a nice four bedroom house in a good location with access to good public schools. Our main problem is our chocolate brown labrador who is at the moment in kennels. One Estate Agent said we have ruled out 80% of rentals by having a dog. So if anyone knows of any dog friendly houses for rent could they please let me know. Also interested in good areas and schools (or areas to avoid) as now driving around and seeing where everything is.

Would also be interested in meeting up with any other families that are new to the area or who have been here a while as have very limited social life at the moment.

Many thanks.

Have you looked on Allhomes using the search function?

Just in case you haven't here is a link. I've set some search criteria for you to get you started.

http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential/advanced-search/view?regionId=391

The dog is a potential, but not insurmountable, problem.

I don't like to recommend areas to live given it is so subjective. However if you are looking for good schools for all your kids in close proximity you might look in the catchment area for Gold Creek School (in Nicholls) IF you can find a house that will let you have the dog and you have the budget for that area.

Good luck

Hi Freckleface Have been looking on allhomes.com.au and have so far visited approximately 15 homes. Will take a look at Gold Creek school and area. Thanks.

Have you looked on Allhomes using the search function?

Just in case you haven't here is a link. I've set some search criteria for you to get you started.

http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential/advanced-search/view?regionId=391

The dog is a potential, but not insurmountable, problem.

I don't like to recommend areas to live given it is so subjective. However if you are looking for good schools for all your kids in close proximity you might look in the catchment area for Gold Creek School (in Nicholls) IF you can find a house that will let you have the dog and you have the budget for that area.

Good luck

Guest Bazinga

I'd avoid Gold Creek School like the plague. Even the Charnwood mothers wouldn't send their kids there. I know loads of renters with dogs so it is doable. Gave a think abt where you will be working too when trying to find someone to live, most commutes don't take long but I wouldn't live in Belconnen if you worked very south or vice versa.

Kaleen/Giralang might be worth a look. We are in Dunlop, which i love esp but you are limited in school choices. A fair few schos aren't taking out of area kids at the moment but I don't know the deal with high schools.

Edited by Bazinga

Assume you have searched for pet friendly on Allhomes http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential/advanced-search/view?regionId=391 must say that nothing there leaps out for me except maybe Griffith - the yarralumla one is big bucks. The one in Latham doesn't look too bad but schools wise-Melba Copeland ... Probably not so much. Does it have to be 4 bed? Could you make do with 3 beds at least to get your foot in the door. Pets are a barrier unfortunately.

http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential/63-boronia-drive-oconnor-canberra/1316846076011 is a 3 bed in Lyneham/Dickson Coll catchment if you could go down to 3 bed

Edited by Quoll

Do call the agent if the property doesn't state pet friendly as often you will still be considered, that at least was our experience we visted five properties ( admittedly over a year ago) and got four of them and we have two dogs, only two of the five actually advised pet friendly.

We live in Ngunnawal and have now bought here also.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Board Express

Hi, my daughter and I arrived in Canberra on Thursday last week from Scotland. My husband has been here for three months as he got a job and had to move quickly. We have rented a house in Casey which is lovely, from L J hooker in Gungahlin. They are really helpful! It's two minutes from gold creek school (not sure about schools as my little girl is only 3).There

is also a dog walking park just up the road.

Would love to meet you for a coffee and maybe help each other out with info on areas etc. As you said social life is a little non existent right now!

Hi Would love to meet up with you for a coffee. I have managed to get my oldest daughter into a school starting on Monday but will still have my other two a son who is 11 and a daughter who is 9. At the moment I am in a temporary apartment looking for a rental. Where would be a good place for you to meet up. I can travel up your way if you prefer. At the moment I am staying in Barton.

Hi, my daughter and I arrived in Canberra on Thursday last week from Scotland. My husband has been here for three months as he got a job and had to move quickly. We have rented a house in Casey which is lovely, from L J hooker in Gungahlin. They are really helpful! It's two minutes from gold creek school (not sure about schools as my little girl is only 3).There

is also a dog walking park just up the road.

Would love to meet you for a coffee and maybe help each other out with info on areas etc. As you said social life is a little non existent right now!

Guest Bazinga

Casey is nice but still being built around a bit in some parts so depends what you want. I'd also avoid gold creek school and it is getting harder and harder to get kids into schools that they don't live in the area for.

Hi Would love to meet up with you for a coffee. I have managed to get my oldest daughter into a school starting on Monday but will still have my other two a son who is 11 and a daughter who is 9. At the moment I am in a temporary apartment looking for a rental. Where would be a good place for you to meet up. I can travel up your way if you prefer. At the moment I am staying in Barton.

Barton is where my husband stayed when he first arrived -he really liked it.

koko blacks in Civic sounds good to me - you are the second person that has recommended it to me Quoll so it has to be good!Have started my little girl in a nursery Friday and Monday between 11.30 and 2.30 but that's my only commitments so far for next week. Happy to meet Monday or Tuesday? Let me know a time that suits and well be there.

Have managed to get my oldest daughter (age 14) into Telopea school. She is joining year 9. Only she is joining the school as they have to be in year 7 to join the Australian stream unless they joined the bilingual stream between years Kindergarten and year 6. I hope this is the right decision. She was studying French at High School in the UK for nearly two years before we moved to Brisbane a year ago. My other two children have to wait until we find a rental so we are in the catchment.

Koko Blacks sounds good to me. I will have my other two children with me so I can meet you either Monday or Tuesday. Would you prefer to meet with or without your three year old. I don't mind either way. Hope to see you soon.

Casey is nice but still being built around a bit in some parts so depends what you want. I'd also avoid gold creek school and it is getting harder and harder to get kids into schools that they don't live in the area for.