any tips to find HR Advisor role pls

shashinianuttara

Hi

I am currently in perth and looking desperately for work. Most of the jobs that I applied got denied saying no local experience How am I to get any local experience without having a job to do. Does anyone have any tips how to overcome this issue? Has any HR Advisor who has got a job? I actually have a degree from Australia but so far no luck. Thanks

It has been a difficult task so far. True I have been actively looking for a job for about a month. However during that time I must have applied over 100 jobs and most of them are junior positions and pretty easy to do as per the Job Description. Anyway I am still positive and still in the perception that I would get a break. Any tips would be very much appreciated and wish me luck guys.

thanks

Don't know about HR or Perth but don't be discouraged. January is a quite month so you may have applied for old postings, recruiters trying to harvest CV's etc. The local experience thing is a pain and I don't agree with it as the majority of skills are not market dependent. Keep trying and sign up with recruitment agents, don't just apply for jobs you see posted. Put out speculative CV's directly to companies, I'm finding that is getting more response than recruitment agents.

Importantly don't get despondent and keep your motivation and focus. I'm in a similar positions albeit in a different geographical area and field of work. Best of luck, happy hunting!

Hi Bromney, Thanks for the reply. So when you say to apply directly to the companies, how do you find their addresses? How if I go and see them personally once I get some addresses. Do you think that would be a better approach? So far my experience with the recruitment agencies have been very negative and yet I am trying. R u in Sydney, the reason is that i am thinking of broaden my search and go for other states as well as sitting at home and waiting is something that I cannot do. Thanks

Have you tried going for temp roles as this would be a good foot in the door.

I would suggest look at the job boards and see who's recruiting and then contact them directly. I work in internal recruitment, if you want to PM me I will look at your CV for you and see if I can help. I'm not in Oz yet but maybe able to give you some pointers.

Hi Bromney, Thanks for the reply. So when you say to apply directly to the companies, how do you find their addresses? How if I go and see them personally once I get some addresses. Do you think that would be a better approach? So far my experience with the recruitment agencies have been very negative and yet I am trying. R u in Sydney, the reason is that i am thinking of broaden my search and go for other states as well as sitting at home and waiting is something that I cannot do. Thanks

Hi,

To apply directly just go to the company's website and take a look at their vacancies. Some companies allow you to submit your CV even when there are no jobs so they may consider you for upcoming positions. You dont need to physically mail them but if you did want to you'll find their address on their website.

Have you met with recruitment agents? Do you have an idea of what the current market is doing?

Hi all

I've been an HR co-ordinator/advisor for 8 years in the UK. I'm moving to the Perth area in May. We are travelling the world for a little bit before entering on a permanent visa (woop). I'll be looking for work when I arrive.

I searched sites such as seek for jobs and it seems there is an abundance of entry level jobs which I'm more than willing to apply for. I presumed that it shouldn't be too hard. I also thought that by signing with an agency I could get temp work fairly easily too.

Little bit worried now after reading your post about no local experience. It can't be that hard can it....?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently working in Perth in HR.

Someone who doesn't have local experience here in Perth, get in contact with Recruitment Agencies for HR jobs. Most Recruitment agencies have a HR recruitment section for their clients. Try to confirm a face-to-face meeting with the recruitment agencies so that they can have a good discussion with you about your skills and experience. I was assigned with my current employer through a recruitment agency as well.

Secondly, always go for temp positions if you come across any. Most employers are a bit reluctant to take someone new into a long term permanent role until they find out about their skills. I came to work with my current employer through recruitment agency for a 3 month temp role, then I was offered a 1 year contract. Recently there is a chance of them making me permanent. Therefore, temp roles can be a great opportunity in disguise.

Thirdly, make sure your CV is a good one. I've seen really experienced people with poor CV and they miss out on relevent jobs. You can get it checked by recruitment agencies and ask for their feedback to change them, or you can contact the uni/college career services where you've graduated from, for them to have a look into your CV. I took feedback about my CV from uni and recruitment consultants.

Archived