Harpodom

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest chris955

Where you grew up or lived in the UK certainly would have a huge influence on the way you look at your new life, as you say if you had a good life in a nice area you are possibly going to be less impressed than if you lived in some grim estate somewhere.

I think people who have been brought up on council estates in big cities will prefer oz, people like me who have bee brought up in a large detached house it the country side will view t different.

I absolutely agree - I know people from inner city Notts who hated the high level of crime and think it's a paradise here - ditto some people from grim estates in Manchester. Of the people I know who get homesick - all are from lovely parts of the UK - I have a nice detached house in a village near Brighton - it's very quiet with low crime rates and violent crime scarce to non existant. I'm next to a national park, a short drive to the sea and reasonably quick connections to continental Europe - I've got to stop because I'll start on 'FFS what have I done?' which gets me no-where but each time I go back to the UK, I'm expecting a Daily Mail style armageddon and it just doesn't materialise... a few people have lost their jobs (and found other jobs), some shops have closed down (others have opened) and there is a bit of belt tightening.....

We were chattng to an English guy a few weeks back..Hes been here for 2 years and loves it.He comes from Mill Hill (never been, but dont think its meant to be very nice).

He is so blinded to what goes on, and although we dident say too much, we were just sussing him out, he went on and on,about how theres no crime in Aus, and no drugs, and how safe it is.

We just smiled and listened.It wasent even worth trying to say what we thought.

We came from a very nice part of the UK, and never saw any crime, or any of the bad stuff, and we have been very shocked here at some of the crime we have seen and heard of.

For someone from a grotty area, Aus must seem like paradise

Maybe thats why some settle so well and others dont

Edited by Sapphire