Travel Tech

someguyinoz

Hello all,

Not long now!

Right, my next issue. I'm a bit of a nerd. I've bought myself a netbook for the journey/general day to day computing needs. I am however used to a fairly powerful i7 machine to mix tunes and attempt to make music. It's not really happening on this netbook, it just grinds to a halt. But it was cheap so I won't be as bothered if it breaks, gets nicked, drinks spilled on it etc. Which was the idea.

I'm thinking I will be inspired to make some tunes in Oz, I'm taking my records and I may try and get some work dj-ing in bars or clubs if I can. In which case I will need to invest in some gear. I don't really want to lug my big laptop across the planet because it's just too big and heavy. It's 3 years old now anyway and things have moved on.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase! What are tech shops like over there? Are they as up to date as the UK/States? Price wise will I benefit from buying something over there? I'm looking for a decent ultrabook with a fairly small screen so it's portable enough to carry round but powerful enough to run quite demanding software!

Plus any recommended nightspots to try and blagg a set from on the east coast/nsw? I play house/trance/progressive. Thanks!

once you're earning the Au$ things suddenly seem so much more reasonable, but if you're thinking about bringing the £, you're probably better off bringing it across with you.

this is the case with most, if not all portable tech.

the technology seems to be up to speed, its not a 2nd rate country, its just a little pricey (£) is all.

one little thing of note, when you're over here you can (so i hear) import any tech you need, as long as each shipment isnt worth more than $1000, without any tax liability, so if you can wait a week or two, you can shop worldwide with the strong $.

Interesting. I will be a lot closer to Taiwan and China obviously and I want an Asus at the moment so I may be able to pick one up cheaper from over there off the net. That may be completely illogical but I like to think it's the case! They're usually cheaper closer to production facilities/production country market right?

I brought a netbook recently, doubled the RAM and added a SSD drive and was still too slow for my needs. Sold it!

Like you, I'm used to a powerful desktop for my music production.

Been looking at the ultrabooks, they look good!

Shops like jb hifi, Dick smith and Harvey norman.. check them out at the right times to get some good deals!!!

In regards to bars/clubs in sydney.. check out.. darling harbour there is.. Retro bar and Cargo bar.

In the city you can try the backpackers bars, Side bar and scary carny they have djs.

You also have kings cross that is full of bars.

But have a walk around and speak to them im sure you will pick something up :)

Archived