cheap electronics in Singapore

norah9

hi, we will be stopping off in singapore for a couple of days on route to Oz and someone told me that electronics were cheap there. thibking of getting a video camera and phone. is it better to buy a phone there or wait til i get to Oz as i might get a deal when signing a new 12 month contract with a mobile phone company. Anyone have any ideas about this. I haven't a clue about stuff like this. thanks.

Guest guest68546

Do your homework and be prepared to negotiate; I was there 3 years ago and I didn't find it that much cheaper. If you do decide to buy, get a warranty where you can have it repaired/serviced domestically (ie Oz) and not have to send it overseas. If a problem occurs, overseas postage could wipe out any savings.

Guest The Pom Queen

Singapore is not much cheaper at all and you usually get ripped off especially in places like Sim Lim Square which has a reputation for scams.

thanks for the information. We were going to buy our 11 year old a phone or camera. a peace offering for leaving his friends behind so might just get him to pick something out in OZ ten. will check out the Funan centre but maybe we should focus on the interesting foods there instead. because im not really into electronics i could be ripped off big time. Don't have time to esearch it properly. packing and sorting ourselves out for flight next tuesday. we only had 2 weeks to organize ourselves and have 4 kids so stress levels pretty high. thanks so much everyone for your input.

I thought the same thing, that electronics would be cheaper, especially in the duty free shop in the airport. I had a few hours stop-over there a while ago so i looked into buying a new mobile, but they weren't any cheaper than I could buy in the UK. Not only that, the model I had in mind was actually cheaper in the shop in Oz. I haven't done any definitive research but I get the impression that electronic goods in general are cheaper in Australia.

Archived