Ietls

nursejules

Guest guest79615

i don't think you can revise for this, not really, you can either communicate in English to an acceptable level or you cant..

i don't think you can revise for this, not really, you can either communicate in English to an acceptable level or you cant..

Of course you can revise for the test. There are threads devoted to this. You can get revision material on amazon, eBay, book shops or from IELTS themselves.

It's not just a case of whether or not you can communicate in English, if you were going to sit an English G.C.S.E then you'd revise for the type of test you were going to face and this is no different.

Getting used to the format of the reading and listening parts is especially useful.

Guest guest79615

hmm i don't agree, i don't think i could have done it if i didn't speak English well no matter how much i revised but everyones different i suppose. I'd say the best thing to do is not build it up to be something its not..its not as bad as some people make out, there was people who's first language was English being sick outside the college with nerves..and they probably got bad scores just through expecting the worse and making it more complicated than it needs to be

Turning up on the day with no preparation would only serve to make most people more nervous.

Loads of the candidates on my test day were foreign nationals, mostly sitting the academic test so I'm guessing they were sitting it for educational purposes. Are you saying none of these would pass no matter what? There are loads of members on here from non English speaking countries that have passed.

Furthermore there were English candidates sitting their 2nd or 3rd tests to improve their results and they'd all revised.

If you passed with no preparation then well done but if someone wants to simply know where they can obtain revision material then they deserve a response accordingly.

Hi Nursejules, I used the Cambridge Ielts. The main thing I practiced was writing essays. It also gives you a chance to understand the format of the exam. yes you cant revise as such but you can familiarise yourself with what is expected. Its a surreal experience and being English I would imagine you get at least 7s no bother. My scores improved the more I practiced, I also got some books from the library. Good luck Nic x

Hi I used Scott's English success website you pay a small fee for access for a set period and then can access lessons which guide you though the strategies for each part and you have access to around 10 sets of mock exams. I had the Cambridge books as well but found this better

Turning up without any preparation is a recipe for disaster. There are certain techniques for writing and listening, the speaking should be a walk in the park for a native speaker, and certainly the writing needs practice if only to get a rough estimate of word count.

Cambridge IELTS with the practice papers and CD are good.

Only the reading part is multople choice but believe you me its not as easy as it seams, the first few are then it gets more difficult. The writing part is 2 essays, the listening is a tape recording of a conversation that you get answers from and then the speaking. The speaking is just an examiner asking basic questions like lifestyle or tv preferences. remember if doing IELTS for ANMAC you need the academic version.

Archived