7 months in Tas

cass73

Hard to believe we have been here for seven months and and on the whole they have been a really happy 7 months.

With in 3 weeks on landing we had found a rented house in the area we wanted it is really large compared to our place in the uk can't get used to how cold it is indoors in the winter though, have you guys never heard of double glazing.

my oldest boy started kindie where he was bullied but I must say how brilliant his teacher was and how she sorted it out really well he is now really excited about starting prep in a couple of weeks.

my husband is settled at work and on average see's the kids an extra 3 hours a day than he did working in

London,which is fab for all of them.

i have been a photography course it would have been impossible in the uk.

we have made some lovely friends which is not difficult given how friendly everyone is and the boys have surrogate grandparents.

my two yr old has developed so much and never wants to be inside.

as for the homesickness it still here every now and then, a certain song can set it off I really miss my friends and the hustle of London, but it never stays long. My mam is visiting next month and my brother in April..

one of the big downfalls is its 3am and am still awake listening to the footie on the plus side its half time and we are 3-1 up.

anyone who is about to make the journey to Tas or has just arrived my advice is to throw yourself into it full hearted and see where the journey takes you.

Guest Guest 47403
Hard to believe we have been here for seven months and and on the whole they have been a really happy 7 months.

With in 3 weeks on landing we had found a rented house in the area we wanted it is really large compared to our place in the uk can't get used to how cold it is indoors in the winter though, have you guys never heard of double glazing.

my oldest boy started kindie where he was bullied but I must say how brilliant his teacher was and how she sorted it out really well he is now really excited about starting prep in a couple of weeks.

my husband is settled at work and on average see's the kids an extra 3 hours a day than he did working in

London,which is fab for all of them.

i have been a photography course it would have been impossible in the uk.

we have made some lovely friends which is not difficult given how friendly everyone is and the boys have surrogate grandparents.

my two yr old has developed so much and never wants to be inside.

as for the homesickness it still here every now and then, a certain song can set it off I really miss my friends and the hustle of London, but it never stays long. My mam is visiting next month and my brother in April..

one of the big downfalls is its 3am and am still awake listening to the footie on the plus side its half time and we are 3-1 up.

anyone who is about to make the journey to Tas or has just arrived my advice is to throw yourself into it full hearted and see where the journey takes you.

Great to hear you've settled so well mate a move like that is NEVER going to go without the odd hiccup.......mind if I send you a pm in the next couple of days?

Can't believe it's been 7 months. :shocked: Loved the bit about the surrogate grandparents! :wubclub:

I was thinking about the double glazing (or lack of). I suspect that it is because, historically, we have had very cheap power, so the initial cost of installation wasn't considered warranted.

But now that energy costs are spiralling, it is becoming much more common in new buildings and many people are retrofitting.

I expect the homesickness will visit you every so often...but, hopefully, not too often and not too overpowering.

ooh Deborah... you are scaring me! But thinking about it, I think this is a sign of good insulation, which means in winter your home should feel warmer than less insulated houses.

cass73, as a person arriving in Tasmania next weekend (!! .. can't believe it as I only found out a week ago), thanks for your update. I hope I find a home soon and can be settled in and writing an update 'before I know it'

Edited by violethaze

I hate to scare you even more but our rental had no insulation at all and poxy electric heaters we froze over winter I just wore lots if jumpers, luckily we have a really nice landlord who paid to get the roof insulated and we got all the trees cut down so at least we will get the winter sun in.

where about in Tas are you coming? Is it just you or o you have a family coming along too?

no our house is poorly insulated!

it is nice and cool downstairs but boiling up stairs in the summer! not all houses like ours but i do miss natural gas and central heating, they don't tend to heat bathrooms here just some ceiling heater called a tastic! it is probably healthier not to have house over heated! i wear my uggs all the time really helps

I hate to scare you even more but our rental had no insulation at all and poxy electric heaters we froze over winter I just wore lots if jumpers, luckily we have a really nice landlord who paid to get the roof insulated and we got all the trees cut down so at least we will get the winter sun in.

where about in Tas are you coming? Is it just you or o you have a family coming along too?

Well, I'm used to that in my current accommodation in Melbourne (unfortunately, Cass).

It is me on my own (with my cat) moving to Tasmania. I've taken on a rental in Kingston... not my first choice of location or property type but I just wanted the peace of mind of having something so that I can now get organised with getting furniture, the cat over, etc. etc. I only found out I had a job last Thursday, so in a week I've found a place to live... next week I arrive.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Your seem to love it like we do. We arrived in Tassie in October 2011 and have never looked back. When we got here we had no jobs, schools for the kids, car or even a house to stay in. We booked a cabin on a big4 site for the first month so we could look around at areas before signing uo for a rental. So glad we did. Kids settled into schools straight away and they are so popular because of their accents. We both got jobs within a month and we bought a property on the east tamar river in september. There is such a lovely community spirit in tassie and we have many friends. The kids have plent of surrogate uncle/aunts and grandparents around. Even the dog loves it, no more walks in the rain!

:jimlad::ssign19:

Yes it does get cold in winter, good job it doesnt last long. we have ordered a new heat pump for our house and it being fitted next week. just in time as its started to get chilly in the evenings.

• 1 month later...

have you guys never heard of double glazing?

I've been here for 12 years, I am a Builder so I'll answer this for you. When I got to Tassie I soon found that glass here is 15 times more expensive than the UK. There are other alternative options now though that are just as good.

Guest guest87294

Glad you love Tassie. I live near Launceston. We moved from Melbourne three years ago to get away from the commute. We love it here... and the best bit... for a cheap 50 min flight I can be back in Melbourne for some serious shopping and get home in time for tea... I couldn't do that as easily when I lived there.

• 1 month later...
Glad you love Tassie. I live near Launceston. We moved from Melbourne three years ago to get away from the commute. We love it here... and the best bit... for a cheap 50 min flight I can be back in Melbourne for some serious shopping and get home in time for tea... I couldn't do that as easily when I lived there.

That's an excellent point. Thanks for that. You can also pick up flights extremely cheaply if you play the game. The ready access to Melbourne is one of the things that undercuts the potential feelings of isolation from living in Tasmania.

I've been in Hobart for 7 months now and it's going better than I ever imagined, even if the current rainy spell is a bit hard to take!

I've been in Hobart for 7 months now and it's going better than I ever imagined, even if the current rainy spell is a bit hard to take!

Glad to hear things are going well, Strick.

We're about 5 inches down on average rainfall for the year to date, so it's not all bad. If we don't get the rain they'll soon be whinging that things are too dry and it's setting us up for a bad bushfire season. :rolleyes: