Taking A Car To The Uk

patsmb

We have a year old Holden Captiva which we might take to the UK later this year

Its identical to the Chevrolet Captiva and would get through any tests in the UK but I have tried to source a speedometer in MPH as ours is in Kiolmetres - any ideas would be welcome as I have come up with brick walls so far

I'd urge you to think again on this idea, bearing in mind the values of used cars in Australia are much higher than the values of used cars in the UK I'd have thought it would be uneconomical to ship a car to the UK - especially since a car being a personal import will knock another 20% to one-third off the value straight away. Do also bear in mind that most insurers refuse to cover personal imports and those that do charge a premium. I say all this as the previous owner of a personal import from Cyprus (from before Cyprus joined the EU so the Cypriot model was just the standard Japanese car and so ever so slightly different from the UK model).

We have a year old Holden Captiva which we might take to the UK later this year

Its identical to the Chevrolet Captiva and would get through any tests in the UK but I have tried to source a speedometer in MPH as ours is in Kiolmetres - any ideas would be welcome as I have come up with brick walls so far

There are few places where you can buy the stickers that changes the KMs to Miles, or have complete new one made, and replace your exsisting one altogether.

We did track a company down, who quoted us about 200 pounds to make a new speedo.

I will dig out the details of the company and PM them over to you. I have thier details in my inbox, I just need to do a search.

We are taking our UTE home as well.We will loose far too much money if we try to sell here

I will be in touch.

Ok first things first, don't bother with the Captiva. By the time you factor in shipping costs, it's cheaper to sell it here and grab the same car in the UK.

Secondly, there are plenty of very desirable cars here that are worth good money in the UK if you're smart about it. A Holden Commodore SS (especially the wagon/estate or ute) is a safe bet. I reckon a late model Ford Falcon XR-6 turbo (or FPV F6 or late model GT) would sell very quickly to a collector over there too. We do the occasional export from Australia too, and those are the cars that people tend to like.

I'd urge you to think again on this idea, bearing in mind the values of used cars in Australia are much higher than the values of used cars in the UK I'd have thought it would be uneconomical to ship a car to the UK - especially since a car being a personal import will knock another 20% to one-third off the value straight away. Do also bear in mind that most insurers refuse to cover personal imports and those that do charge a premium. I say all this as the previous owner of a personal import from Cyprus (from before Cyprus joined the EU so the Cypriot model was just the standard Japanese car and so ever so slightly different from the UK model).

We have taken a vehicle to the car previously and it did not cost us as an import

We would loose out if we sell the car and to take it even if it costs around $5000 seems a better option as we will keep it in the UK and not sell it on

Our insurance was not too bad either once we got UK plates on our car from Oz so lots to be considered

Archived