Other jobs backpackers can do

saren

Hey, assuming fruit picking, and forms of harvesting doesn't work out (because it's not worth the back breaking work for the return you get per hour/per day). What do you think about the following jobs for a WHV throughout all the states of Australia

1. Jobs in demand at Australian vineyards, are they seasonal? Which months would you say they would need the most people, and obviously the regions are limited to the Southern coastlines.

2. Mystery shopping, there are up to a dozen websites registering people online, in return they send you out on an assignment within a postal region, however this requires a holidaymaker to stay put in one place long enough to get an assignment. Right place, right time kind of thing. However some sites I came across have an Australian wide database, so when a job comes up in any region, you may be able to take it (assuming you fit the profile). They match shoppers to clients' requirements. Pay is better than most backpacker jobs, as its based on assignment, and not hour. From my research online, it's somewhere between $30-$100/assignment. Urban areas, large to medium sized towns included. Anyone done it?

3. Jackaroo at an outstation?

4. Focus groups where 8-12 people meet in person to discuss a new product. Pay $40-$100+ for 1-2 hours, picked from being members of paid survey sites, and other market, research or consumer panels. I'm not saying fill out paid surveys, buy joining paid survey sites feeds you into the database of these focus groups, which meet all the time throughout Australia, if you happen to be passing through, you could get an email and go to one.

That's it, that's what I found so far that's different from the regular jobs.

You can do ANY job on the WHV. But it is limited for 6 months. You can work in a supermarket, a shop whatever. Best bet is waiting til you get here then having some kind of focus in something you are experienced in. Finding work when you have experience is fairly easy, when you have no experience in anything then you hit problems.

But you must do 3 months specified regional to qualify for a second year right? Not just any old job? After that you can do whatever the hell you want if you can get it, but only for 6 months?

Another thing, if after 6 months I land a job that I stick with for 6 months, providing I've done my specified regional work and qualify for a second year, I can then go straight back to the same employer for 6 months, with no gap, so technically employed by them for a full year, just on 2 different WHVs?

And saren, re regional stuff, I'd keep that under your hat otherwise people will steal your ideas and your work!

As has been said you can do what ever job you want especially if you arent too bothered about getting a 2nd year visa.

A lot of Perth, WA is classed as regional, its quite easy to find the postcodes you can work in and yet still be close to the city if you dont fancy being out in the sticks.

My daughters BF came out with us on a WHV, in the UK he worked behind the counter in Halfords, no formal qualifications but a bright lad. He didnt really fancy doing regional work straight away, so we helped him find a job close to the house in an industry that people were wanted for on the SOL lists, he worked hard and thru that and due to him being young enough he has been offered a sponsorship on a 4 year training visa.

Hopefully it will go thru ok, and shows that with a bit of pre-planning if you want to stay in Oz for a longer amount of time even without formal qualifications it can be done

Guest littlesarah

I don't know about here, but my fruit picking job in the UK paid really good wages. Being piecework once I got the hang of it I was earning on average 14 quid an hour (that was '95 or '96 so with inflation it'd be more now). A lot of the other workers used to do 2 hours before their regular job because the pay was so good (and it only lasted for a few weeks).

I don't know about here, but my fruit picking job in the UK paid really good wages. Being piecework once I got the hang of it I was earning on average 14 quid an hour (that was '95 or '96 so with inflation it'd be more now). A lot of the other workers used to do 2 hours before their regular job because the pay was so good (and it only lasted for a few weeks).

Think you'll find illegal immigrants have put paid to that nice little earner in the UK now.

Hey, assuming fruit picking, and forms of harvesting doesn't work out (because it's not worth the back breaking work for the return you get per hour/per day). What do you think about the following jobs for a WHV throughout all the states of Australia

1. Jobs in demand at Australian vineyards, are they seasonal? Which months would you say they would need the most people, and obviously the regions are limited to the Southern coastlines.

2. Mystery shopping, there are up to a dozen websites registering people online, in return they send you out on an assignment within a postal region, however this requires a holidaymaker to stay put in one place long enough to get an assignment. Right place, right time kind of thing. However some sites I came across have an Australian wide database, so when a job comes up in any region, you may be able to take it (assuming you fit the profile). They match shoppers to clients' requirements. Pay is better than most backpacker jobs, as its based on assignment, and not hour. From my research online, it's somewhere between $30-$100/assignment. Urban areas, large to medium sized towns included. Anyone done it?

3. Jackaroo at an outstation?

4. Focus groups where 8-12 people meet in person to discuss a new product. Pay $40-$100+ for 1-2 hours, picked from being members of paid survey sites, and other market, research or consumer panels. I'm not saying fill out paid surveys, buy joining paid survey sites feeds you into the database of these focus groups, which meet all the time throughout Australia, if you happen to be passing through, you could get an email and go to one.

That's it, that's what I found so far that's different from the regular jobs.

Are you referring to regional work for the 2nd year of general work?

No i am not eligible for 2nd year visa, because i am already 31, i got my visa a few days before my 31st birthday. The post is inquiring about alternative entry level jobs (in heavy demand) outside the hospitality service industry, all states, all seasons.

No i am not eligible for 2nd year visa, because i am already 31, i got my visa a few days before my 31st birthday. The post is inquiring about alternative entry level jobs (in heavy demand) outside the hospitality service industry, all states, all seasons.

Hmm tough one. Vineyard work would be your best bet. You can effectively travel the country following the seasons for fruit picking/agricultural work. Jillaroo would be the best experience IMO though you may need to WOOF it to get experience first. Could well be worth it though.

As much as there is work for backpackers, there are an awful lot here looking for work being a career choice by a lot affected by the recession in Europe. Seriously there's LOADS and regional work can be very hard to get as most everyone wants their 2nd year visa (costs almost $400 btw). So much so that loads of employers are getting backpackers to WOOF it.

No, not limited to southern coastlines. Every state has grapes (not N.T. as far as I know).

This site has the locations for grape picking and the various times of harvest. There is also a similar page for grape pruning.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/HarvestTrail/CropDetails.aspx?CropID=5#Season

Archived