Citizenship questions

Qflyer

Well it's been an epic journey but I'm finally about the reach the end of my migration journey - citizenship! :D Who'd have thought when I landed in Melbourne as a bright eyed 16 year old almost 11 years ago that I'd become a citizen of this great country one day (it was meant to be a jolly for uni before heading somewhere else for further adventures, but I just never left!). I'm about to hit my 1 year anniversary of PR (and have been here since 2002 on a student, then partner visas), so I'm getting ready for my citizenship application in April. Actual eligibility is late March but delaying till April as we've got a trip to Hawaii planned for Easter.

I understand that I can't travel overseas whilst the application is being processed which is fine - I understand that I can travel in the 'limbo' period between application approval and the citizenship ceremony. I'll be traveling on my existing Malaysian passport like a regular PR presumably in that period.

Questions:

* We're thinking of going to Europe in late September - can I safely assume the processing would be complete way before then as I don't forsee any major issues?? I think the SLA which I read somewhere is about 90 days but a few friends have had approval way faster.

* Assuming approved within the 90 days, how long does it typically take between approval and citizenship ceremony? We live within Brisbane City Council (out in Carseldine if that makes a difference). It'd be great to travel on my shiny new Australian passport in September if I can - reason being that my current Malaysian passport is fast running out of pages and I'd love to avoid flying interstate (they don't have a consular presence in Brisbane) to get a new one when I'm intending to renounce citizenship of said country as soon as an Australian passport is safely in my hot hands!

MTIA for your advice as always! :)

• 1 month later...

I presume you can answer all your questions via this website either by searching through it or contacting the Department?

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/

[h=1]Citizenship and travel[/h]Main contentAn Australian passport is the preferred and most conclusive proof of Australian citizenship when travelling.

You will not be able to apply for an Australian passport until you have become an Australian citizen by attending an official citizenship ceremony and made the Australian Citizenship Pledge.

If you travel outside Australia before your ceremony you will be travelling as a permanent resident on your current passport. See further information about travelling before your citizenship ceremony.

Once you have become an Australian citizen any visa you held ceases.

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.

People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays. The Australian Passport Office provides more information.

If you also have a passport from another country you should always use your Australian passport when leaving and entering Australia.

[h=2]Travel after Australian citizenship has ceased[/h]If you renounce your Australian citizenship while overseas you cannot re-enter Australia without a valid visa.

You will automatically become the holder of an ex-citizen visa if you renounce your Australian citizenship while in Australia. This visa allows you to remain in Australia but does not allow you to re-enter Australia should you leave.

You will need a Resident Return Visa if you travel overseas and intend to return to Australia.

• 2 years later...

Hello frnds

My last question is -plz reply if you can I will apply for my citizenship in September.wht occupation I can fill in citizenship (1300 t)application form as I saw my FRiend filled at form yesterday.its very hard to find the job in the same field.now a days I work in Hungry jacks .so should i fill the current occupantion or will it impact bad impression on my as I m not working in nominationed position any more. Thanks

Hello frnds

My last question is -plz reply if you can I will apply for my citizenship in September.wht occupation I can fill in citizenship (1300 t)application form as I saw my FRiend filled at form yesterday.its very hard to find the job in the same field.now a days I work in Hungry jacks .so should i fill the current occupantion or will it impact bad impression on my as I m not working in nominationed position any more. Thanks

You are not required to work in your nominated occupation. So no, it won't reflect badly on you.

Archived