Bridging Visa B extension

ScouseScots

Hi, first visit here and hope someone has some experienced advice to offer.I am currently awaiting the finalisation of a temporary partner visa that was submitted 9 months ago and hold a bridging visa (we live in WA), we were initally told it would take 9 months but later warned there was a backlog and, despite everything apart from the medical being completed, the waiting time was now up to 14 months from submission due to immigration department delays (and nothing to do with our application which is fine).We were advised to wait until asked for the medical as due to the delay would likely be out of date if done too soon. Reasonable advice which we followed. My partner is an Australian citizen and we've been together 5 years, after long distance misery for 3 years I moved out 2 years ago and we built up our 'living together' time for the application, did everything by the book and supplied everthing asked for. There are no issues with our application and everthing is 100% legit.A month ago I got a call from home that my Mum was in hospital and extremely ill, she's now undergoing chemo and awaiting a yes or no for surgery...I am an only child and my Mum's a widow...I applied for and got a bridging visa B for 3 months and I was flying home within 48hrs. My partner has had to remain as the bread winner in Aus and I'm back in UK as sole carer.It is painfully clear now I'm back that potetnially this is going to be longer than 3 months, but after 5 years of fighting for a future and a visa we're not about to give up on our relationship either. So, does anyone know if I stand any chance of getting a BVB extended? I've been told we may lose our whole application if I don;t return to Aus to renew it...but I have no carer to pass responsibility onto.Apologies for long story, but it seems so unreasonable under the circumstances (and their delay), to punish us.Thanks in advance.

Best speak to a registered migration agent. But when visa is ready to be granted as long as you are in Australia, you could travel back on tourist visa.

I'm sorry but am not following....do you mean they will keep hold of our original partner visa application even if I don't return on time with the BVB? I was put under the impression they will literally bin it!

We would if we had a CO...9 months later and no-one's even looked at our file...hence why I just had to get a BVB in an emergency. It's costing us massively both financially and emotionally. Really I just need my BVB extended initially so I can get back and they don't throw our original application out. Only current option is to return just to get it renewed, but between care arrangements and flight costs it's getting out of hand.

Many people have waited a long time for their visas, I am not sure if you think there are special reasons why you should not be in the queue, however if you don't think you special then.. the queue is the queue.

Anyway to your question, no the travel period cannot be changed or extended, I found this by reading about bridging Visa B on the immigration website (below). And of course they will not throw the partner visa application in the bin, it will continue.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/bridging/020/

Edited by Rupert

Ermmm, odd answer! No, nothing special and never mentioned that we shouldn't be in a queue! We have, however, been told 5 months then 9 then 12 then 14...gets a little confusing when some documents have expiry limits. We've paid as everyone else has and provided everything on time as requested. We have no CO so no-one to deal directly with, ringing the department from the UK is nigh on impossible and it took them 20 days previously to reply to an online query despite their 14 day service standard. So no, not special, just looking for a humanised service in pretty awful circumstances.

There is no such thing as fair unfortunately about waiting/hoping for a visa to emigrate to Australia.The rules change constantly and the waiting times appear meaningless. My son was on bridging visa A for nearly 3 1/2 years, when the original estimate was 6 months!!

i think the most important thing for you is to find out if your application stays valid if you are away more than the 3 months on B. visa B. and it would be best to check with a migration agent.

wish you all the best at this stressful time.