schools and areas to live in Canberra

Guest Shula

This just made me smile "Is ANU not in the top 100 Uni's in the country ?".

There are only 41 Universites in the whole of Australia (and include Melbourne College of Divinity in that)!! Another figure that made me realise the size of the population!

If you want to know about the quality of universities, the Australian Research Council have just completed their first full scale evaluation of all research in all subjects at all 41 institutions. Please note that its just research not teaching.

HTH

Not suprised it made you smile - sorry I meant to say it is ranked in the top 100 globally. Thanks for the heads up on the quality of the Uni's I will take a look at that.

Cheers

Suzanne

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rucu1
Hi Ruth

Oh thats so handy getting your accomodation sorted for you - it took us a while but we have secured something for the first month anyway. Good luck with selling the house - its not great at the moment - we sold ours last year thankfully only lost a little bit on the sale. Its tough times isnt it!! We arent pub goers either to be honest! I cant remember the last time we were in a pub but deffo bbq's and wine suits me right down to the ground if only we had the weather here! Thats something I am looking forward to! The packing is going fine - loads of Vac Pac bags from Heatons - they are brilliant! We are getting married next week so its a bit crazy but the removal company are actually packing everything for us. We sold our house with the contents so we dont have any beds to bring just things like sofas, table and chairs, piano and all of our clothes so we are getting 600 cubic feet and its costing €3600 plus insurance. We are using Careline - they are an Irish company. We got about 3 or 4 quotes but they were all similar. Have you any idea of where you would like to settle in Canberra? So your OH has a job already? Thats great if he does!

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne

Congrats on the wedding but you must be manic what with packing everything up and sorting a wedding. You obviously like to not have a quiet life ha ha. I hope you all have a lovely day and the sun shines. Lucky you for selling your house last year!! I would say we will lose a lot on ours thats if we sell it at all! My sister who lives in QLD says to bring as much of your own stuff as possible as furntiure is quite expensive. The heaton bags sound like a great idea, I'll have to investigate. My OH has been offered a job in Canberra but also one in Sydney so, even though we both would prefer Canberra - smaller population, weather, layout etc - we are still in negotiation with both companies. I couldn't believe how expensive the moving cos are. Where have you secured your rental accomodation for the first month? I want to be somewhere where there are parks, restaurants, people etc that you can walk to. At the moment we live in the middle of nowhere, which is beautiful but a pain as you can't walk to anything. So I live in my car. What about you any ideas or are you going to wait until you get there an do a recce?

Ruth

Hi Suzanne

Congrats on the wedding but you must be manic what with packing everything up and sorting a wedding. You obviously like to not have a quiet life ha ha. I hope you all have a lovely day and the sun shines. Lucky you for selling your house last year!! I would say we will lose a lot on ours thats if we sell it at all! My sister who lives in QLD says to bring as much of your own stuff as possible as furntiure is quite expensive. The heaton bags sound like a great idea, I'll have to investigate. My OH has been offered a job in Canberra but also one in Sydney so, even though we both would prefer Canberra - smaller population, weather, layout etc - we are still in negotiation with both companies. I couldn't believe how expensive the moving cos are. Where have you secured your rental accomodation for the first month? I want to be somewhere where there are parks, restaurants, people etc that you can walk to. At the moment we live in the middle of nowhere, which is beautiful but a pain as you can't walk to anything. So I live in my car. What about you any ideas or are you going to wait until you get there an do a recce?

Ruth

Thanks Ruth - yeah its a bit manic at the moment but I like being busy :) we were going to wait until we got to Australia but the going away party turned into a wedding without the dress and cake so we said we might aswell just do it. Deffo check out the Vac Pac bags there are fantastic - you can fit a mountain of stuff in them. Ok everything will be creased but nothing that a good wash and iron wont sort out! I did the investigations on the furniture and yeah it is expensive but for what you would pay in insurance moving new stuff over we might aswell buy it over there. Its six of one and half a dozen of the other if we were to bring new stuff - anything we do have we are bringing thats for sure - right down to duvet covers (now thats where the vac pacs will come in handy). We are staying in Langley Heights in Tuggeranong. Its right down south but we dont mind. We were thinking of settling in Belconnen but we are going to keep our options open because we really wont know until we get there what the areas are like. From what we have heard you need a car in Canberra anyway because the public transport system is not meant to be the best and buses stop at 10 am in the evening. We dont want to live really far out - to be honest Gunghalin from what I have seen on the internet doesnt tickle my fancy but I say that now - I may change my mind when I get there! All the districts have little town centres so it is different from Cork or Dublin City. I wouldnt fancy living in the middle of nowhere but I dont want to live in a house where there is an "estate" with houses on top of each other if you know what I mean! I think the closer you get to the District Centres the more expensive the house rentals are - that being said I dont mind paying for that. Sometimes there is alot of comfort knowing you can walk to the shops. I have Tesco 5 mins away from me and other Shops and I STILL get in my car!

Suzanne

Guest rucu1
Thanks Ruth - yeah its a bit manic at the moment but I like being busy :) we were going to wait until we got to Australia but the going away party turned into a wedding without the dress and cake so we said we might aswell just do it. Deffo check out the Vac Pac bags there are fantastic - you can fit a mountain of stuff in them. Ok everything will be creased but nothing that a good wash and iron wont sort out! I did the investigations on the furniture and yeah it is expensive but for what you would pay in insurance moving new stuff over we might aswell buy it over there. Its six of one and half a dozen of the other if we were to bring new stuff - anything we do have we are bringing thats for sure - right down to duvet covers (now thats where the vac pacs will come in handy). We are staying in Langley Heights in Tuggeranong. Its right down south but we dont mind. We were thinking of settling in Belconnen but we are going to keep our options open because we really wont know until we get there what the areas are like. From what we have heard you need a car in Canberra anyway because the public transport system is not meant to be the best and buses stop at 10 am in the evening. We dont want to live really far out - to be honest Gunghalin from what I have seen on the internet doesnt tickle my fancy but I say that now - I may change my mind when I get there! All the districts have little town centres so it is different from Cork or Dublin City. I wouldnt fancy living in the middle of nowhere but I dont want to live in a house where there is an "estate" with houses on top of each other if you know what I mean! I think the closer you get to the District Centres the more expensive the house rentals are - that being said I dont mind paying for that. Sometimes there is alot of comfort knowing you can walk to the shops. I have Tesco 5 mins away from me and other Shops and I STILL get in my car!

Suzanne

I know what you mean about the estates - i definitely don't want to live in one - we have been too long with lots of space and no neighbours. Well you have to take the car to Tesco, after all whos going to carry the bags home!!! Have you signed up for the "Live in Canberra" website?? We got a whole lot of really good stuff sent to us by them. Also when you get there if you sign up they have organised events where you meet new emigres to the area. You probably have done all this already but thought I'd mention it just in case. When is the wedding day? By the way can I'm ok with the wash bit but can we skip on the IRONING?????

Deffo check out the Vac Pac bags there are fantastic - you can fit a mountain of stuff in them.

Can you definitely take filled Vac pac bags? I've got loads of them with stuff in already, but just assumed that I wouldn't be able to ship stuff in them (not quite sure why I thought that, perhaps something to do with your goods being able to be inspected or something to do with the air escaping and everything expanding in your container - there's me, always looking on the negative side. :wink:).

I'm not at that point just yet, but it would be good to know.

It would make me very happy if I could though (how sad am I?) as it would save me a lot of hassle?

I know what you mean about the estates - i definitely don't want to live in one - we have been too long with lots of space and no neighbours. Well you have to take the car to Tesco, after all whos going to carry the bags home!!! Have you signed up for the "Live in Canberra" website?? We got a whole lot of really good stuff sent to us by them. Also when you get there if you sign up they have organised events where you meet new emigres to the area. You probably have done all this already but thought I'd mention it just in case. When is the wedding day? By the way can I'm ok with the wash bit but can we skip on the IRONING?????

Now Ruth thats VERY true about the bags !! Deffo have a point. I have the Live in Canberra website but didnt realise you could join it! I must do that now - do you need to send them an email or something? The wedding is this Sunday! We were very lucky to get a solemniser who will do legal marriages on a Sunday. Apparently there are only a couple in Ireland! Not a lover of ironing myself.

Can you definitely take filled Vac pac bags? I've got loads of them with stuff in already, but just assumed that I wouldn't be able to ship stuff in them (not quite sure why I thought that, perhaps something to do with your goods being able to be inspected or something to do with the air escaping and everything expanding in your container - there's me, always looking on the negative side. :wink:).

I'm not at that point just yet, but it would be good to know.

It would make me very happy if I could though (how sad am I?) as it would save me a lot of hassle?

Hi Lavender

We checked with the removal company before I started Vac packing and they told us we can deffo use them. Ah you're not sad I am thinking the same thing - it really saves on having to use suitcases but our removal company are packing everything for us for insurance purposes.

Suzanne

Hi Lavender

We checked with the removal company before I started Vac packing and they told us we can deffo use them. Ah you're not sad I am thinking the same thing - it really saves on having to use suitcases but our removal company are packing everything for us for insurance purposes.

Suzanne

Brilliant! I bought loads the other day to store things out of sight for when we finally get the house on the market. One of them was big enough to fit me in. lol!

Guest rucu1
Now Ruth thats VERY true about the bags !! Deffo have a point. I have the Live in Canberra website but didnt realise you could join it! I must do that now - do you need to send them an email or something? The wedding is this Sunday! We were very lucky to get a solemniser who will do legal marriages on a Sunday. Apparently there are only a couple in Ireland! Not a lover of ironing myself.

Ok you either have to excuse my ignorance or you have mistyped but what is a solemniser???? We will raise a glass to you both on Sunday and enjoy every minute of it. You join the website and give them your email/ address etc and they send you this package full of very interesting stuff, including a property magazine!

Brilliant! I bought loads the other day to store things out of sight for when we finally get the house on the market. One of them was big enough to fit me in. lol!

LOL yeah those Vac Packs are brill - dont forget NOT to Vac Pac yourself!!!

Ok you either have to excuse my ignorance or you have mistyped but what is a solemniser???? We will raise a glass to you both on Sunday and enjoy every minute of it. You join the website and give them your email/ address etc and they send you this package full of very interesting stuff, including a property magazine!

A Solemniser is basically a person who is legally able to perform a marriage in Ireland. Usually the HSE do it but only Monday to Friday. Its a great idea for those in Ireland who arent into the religious type ceremonies or who arent catholic. Great Im going to join that but I thought u needed a Canberra address - obviously you dont :)

Archived