Bricklayer ..... How do we go about it

Love Shoes

My son is currently living in the UK and has decided to try to move to OZ ...... He is a qualified bricklayer with probably more than 10 years experience, he fancies Gladstone as we have been informed they are looking for brick layers.

is it possible to find a sponsor or is it the Ielts route .....

His wife is a non UK citizen, but has applied for citizenship which should be through this year.

how does he go about it, we have sent him links for jobs, but need more info, any help would be appreciated, he is 31 and his wife is 29 and an accountant.

thanks

Bricklayer is on CSOL, therefore would require State Nomination. Trades dont often find sponsorship, as employers can find it hard to meet the 457 criteria. Also he may need a skills assessment for 457.

They should speak to a registered migration agent, but as his wife is and accountant, it would be better going with her skills to get a visa.

They would likely qualify for 189/190 visa, if she was able to get a positive skills assessment, she would also need to sit the academic IELTS, for Skills Assessment.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My partner is a bricklayer currently in Australia on a WHV. We are in the process of getting our subclass 190 visa. My Partner had to do a skills assessment through VETASSESS. There are 2 parts to the assessment. The first part is work evidence, you have to provide employer references, payslips, p60s etc and this part costs roughly $700. You need to get a level 1 outcome for this part to progress onto the next stage. The second part is either an interview or a practical examination. My partner did the interview and he was competent in every section. If you are not competent in every section then you would be required to take the practical examination aswell. The interview cost $1400.

Hope this helps!

Lynsey

Thanks a lot for the info, don't know much about it at all. I have found some payslips for previous years and tax vouchers, not any going back to the beginning though! I am going to try get references from subbys I have worked for, agencys, engineers etc on my current job? how many refs did you gather and can you tell me what this interview is like? the kind of stuff they ask?

many thanks

David.

Thanks a lot for the

info, don't know much about it at all. I have found some payslips for previous years and tax vouchers, not any going back to the beginning though! I am going to try get references from subbys I have worked for, agencys, engineers etc on my current job? how many refs did you gather and can you tell me what this interview is like? the kind of stuff they ask?

many thanks

David.

hello, we have Go Matilda acting as our agents, my parter is a qualified bricklayer and we have gone down the 190 visa route. He provided tons of evidence (qualifications, certificates, payslips, references) and did a skills test in London which was a conversation with an assessor in Melbourne via Skype.(he didnt have to do the practical) he didn't have to take the IELTS as he had more than the required 60 points but were told by Go Matilda initially that if he was short on points he could the IELTS to gain some. The skills test you pay over 2 parts, one part documentary evidence the other part the assessment. All documentary evidence has to be certified before sending off. Overall pricey but worth it in the long run. All I would say is provide as much evidence as you can. If you end up not using an agent try to research the information needed in the references!!!

Hope this helps :-)

Hi there

Thanks for that. I am going to use an agent ( overseas emigration in Edinburgh). If I apply very soon I shouldn't need to do the English test either as I have the points but I turn 33 next year and would drop 5 points so I need to do it before then to avoid doing that test. I just hope what I have to show them is enough as I don't tend to keep hold of too many payslips. what kind of things are asked/ spoke about I this conversation?

Well before you do the assessment you do a thing called Tradeset which is basically a tick box of all things bricklaying and you tick what you can and can't do so just be honest. There was stuff like scaffolding and paving on there which my partner can't do as a bricklayer so he ticked no. He was asked things like how many bricks are in a meter, things about cavities, just general bricklaying. He was asked scaffolding questions like moving scaffolding poles Etc but just explained that he didn't so that here as in England you have to have a licence and they were obviously ok with that as he passed!

Hi there

Thanks for that. I am going to use an agent ( overseas emigration in Edinburgh). If I apply very soon I shouldn't need to do the English test either as I have the points but I turn 33 next year and would drop 5 points so I need to do it before then to avoid doing that test. I just hope what I have to show them is enough as I don't tend to keep hold of too many payslips. what kind of things are asked/ spoke about I this conversation?

ive sent you a pm.

Archived