How long did your container take to get to Oz?

Littlesar70

Hi,

Newbie here, first post! We're due to head out to Oz mid April and plan to send out stuff early April, so it would be really useful to know how long your containers actually took to arrive?

We have had 3 quotes for 550 cft for groupage from Crown, Doree Bonner and PSS:

Crown - time estimate 12 - 16 weeks (verbal)

Doree Boner - 12 - 16 weeks (verbal)

PSS - 6 - 9 weeks (estimated, written on quote), 10 - 12 weeks (verbal)

I've phoned PSS to ask why they quote a shorter length of time and his response was that he couldn't understand why the others were quoting so long. Given that the cost estimates are all quite similar - £2800 plus AQUIS, I would go with the quicker company (PSS) so we don't have to sit on the floor for an extra month in an unfurnished rental!

However, how long do they really take?? :twitcy:

Thanks!

Guest Guest26012

Hi and welcome to the forum. I was just racking my brains to remember how long ours took and I think it was roughly ten weeks! Ours set off about three days before us. I'm sure you'll get lots of replies from recent immigrants, when oz wakes up.

The PSS time-line looks like a quote for a sole-use container, rather than for groupage/shared. I'd definitely not believe that short a time-scale for a shared container, although I'm just basing it on the stories I've heard and seen.

We had a 20ft container to ourselves and it took from 18-19/10/11 to 22/12/11 (i.e. the boys spent two days packing in Kent, UK, and it was delivered to us on 22/12/11 in Melbourne)

(and we had lots of timber and outdoor stuff declared so I'm sure they took a look at a few boxes)

We came over last summer with Anglo Pacific. Packed 20/8/12, arrived in Brisbane end of September. However, we had (and declared) several items of interest to customs and AQIS. They got through OK, but it delayed delivery to us until the middle of October. We used a sole use container.

Plan carefully on what you will take and what you will leave behind, and whether you have the wait without possessions here or in the UK. The advantage of having your goods packed weeks before you leave the UK, arriving around the same time as you in Australia is it allows you to continue to use your house contents you won't be taking and so probably won't miss the bits you have sent quite as much. Also you will probably have friends in the UK who will lend you bits and pieces, whilst you probably won't have built up the contacts in Australia. Also if you have kids they will enjoy unpacking their favourite possessions and will make Australia seem more like home earlier on.

Just watch you don't pack your passport and driving licence (including paper counterpart) in your container (it has been done!) Would also suggest you get good quality scans of all important documents, whether in the container or not, and leave copies on several devices, USB sticks and perhaps the cloud or a trusted relative or friend in the UK.

Hi,

Newbie here, first post! We're due to head out to Oz mid April and plan to send out stuff early April, so it would be really useful to know how long your containers actually took to arrive?

We have had 3 quotes for 550 cft for groupage from Crown, Doree Bonner and PSS:

Crown - time estimate 12 - 16 weeks (verbal)

Doree Boner - 12 - 16 weeks (verbal)

PSS - 6 - 9 weeks (estimated, written on quote), 10 - 12 weeks (verbal)

I've phoned PSS to ask why they quote a shorter length of time and his response was that he couldn't understand why the others were quoting so long. Given that the cost estimates are all quite similar - £2800 plus AQUIS, I would go with the quicker company (PSS) so we don't have to sit on the floor for an extra month in an unfurnished rental!

However, how long do they really take?? :twitcy:

Thanks!

Ours was sole use 20ft, mid wales to brisbane, went on 4th october 2012, and we got our goods friday 7th december, and i was present when aqis inspected, see my other comments about ask shippers how much is aquis fee other side, as they are fixed by aquis, but shippers this side load the price to cover handling of your goods, but hey thats what you have paid your uk agent already - hence in ours and alot of others cases you get double charged for what they say all handling fees included....please get it in email or written as verbal never helps when they want 520 dollars off you for 40 dollar aquis fee

regards

The PSS time-line looks like a quote for a sole-use container, rather than for groupage/shared. I'd definitely not believe that short a time-scale for a shared container, although I'm just basing it on the stories I've heard and seen.

We had a 20ft container to ourselves and it took from 18-19/10/11 to 22/12/11 (i.e. the boys spent two days packing in Kent, UK, and it was delivered to us on 22/12/11 in Melbourne)

(and we had lots of timber and outdoor stuff declared so I'm sure they took a look at a few boxes)

JoandJohn, where abouts in Kent were you based? we are also in Kent and are moving to Mornington in July, We are all very excited, as my mum and sister already live in Brighton, Victoria.

Su

Hi

Our container was packed on Wednesday, it is due to leave next wed 16.1.13 and was told it will get to Fremantle 10.3.13. Probably get it 10 days later. We fly out 11.2.13 got somewhere to stay for 1 month, so hopefully only be without our stuff for about 2 weeks.

We used Crown, fellas were great, the only problem, they were keen to get finished as they only had 2 days to do it and that included a 2 hr journey each way. They packed my children's uniforms, my work clothes and a few items I was keeping. I did say hey we're not going but they forgot. So please do remove ALL items not going. I thought telling them that was enough. Apart from that very pleased. Could not fit my 3 seater seetee in but we did have a lot of stuff and 2 living room suites.

Oh forgot, we got a call the week before saying freight costs had gone up and it was going to cost £200.00 more, could not do anything about it at that point. Probably wont effect anyone getting new quote as it will be included.

We had sole use of a container and it took exactly nine weeks door to door. Groupsge tends to takes longer because you have to wait for another consignment to fill the container, unless you are lucky enough to be the other consignment to fill the container. It is also slower at the Australia end to get through AQIS, although I can't remember the exact explanation why.

Archived