Best Month to Emigrate?

Kimorjack

Hi all

Just planning the next 12 months (now waiting for the next round of EOI's....fingers crossed)- so in anticipation - we are looking @ Sep/Oct/Nov as a possible time for the move.

Made me think...of the many decision's we have to make :-)

a) We have a 9 year old (turned 9 in Nov) who is doing really well in school - we are still deciding on area's (Brisbane) to live - so cant yet pin point a suburb - so cant start to look at school's - but moving in these months - does it mean starting a school for a few weeks/months and then straight into the summer holiday or can he start the new year in Feb? If we moved in Nov then he would start his school year in the UK in Sep/Oct then we would emigrate..anyone had this dillema - are there rules to follow?

b) Any change will be hard - so to minimise this we are looking at Private School's - I know it's difficult to enrol into a school from the UK - but anyone done this and it's worked well?

c) Costs of flights...they seem to get more expensive as you get closer to December..

d) Rentals...from reading many posts - it looks like same scenario - harder to get rentals at the tail end of the year

e) Work...Dec/Jan seems to be a quiet time - not just in the UK but most countries...is this the same in OZ?

So why do people decide on Emigration in certain months? I know there is personal reason's (work etc) - but is there a pattern?

thanks

We arrived early November, no specific reason why, it just timed out that way and it worked for us. The downside we found is ,yes, rentals are harder to get once you get into December as no-one really wants to move at Xmas, so you cant dilly dally choosing areas.

School wise my son started Year 3 in September in the UK and did one term before leaving to come here. We found a school we liked within our first few weeks and signed him up to start the new school year in January. They started him in Year 4 and its worked out OK. It was good he had the xmas holidays to meet a few more kids at the school as it wasnt so daunting on his first day. Im not sure id enrol him in a school before seeing it first but thats just a personal choice, also bear in mind some schools wont allow it until your living and have an address in the catchment area.

Work is quieter too over xmas and a lot of companys close down for a few weeks.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Guest Guest26012

Hi, can't help you with the schools. Job wise dec to feb is a bad time to gain employment. We came in feb 08 but I had a job to come to, took hubby about 4 to 6 weeks to get a job! Flights are expensive at that time of year, having said that, it's cheaper for you booking it from the uk than the other way round. Good luck!

I'd say to come over in Sept / early October - gives you a chance to (hopefully) get work sorted before the summer slow down. And munchkin can maybe do a few weeks / term at a school before summer holidays. Might help for him to meet some kids - plus if you decide the school is rubbish you can always move to another one in the new year :)

thanks everyone - interesting to know how other's have coped. I was hoping to work as much as I could In the uk to save as much as I could to get me over Dec/Jan - this can be our time together as a family and give us the time to adapt...and also make sure we get the right school...i know the job market is going to be slower - but my son in a decent school and us settled in the right area is crucial..

Archived