Going "walkabout" OCT 2013

sammcgougan

Hi everyone, just applied yesterday for my WHV for the trip I've been working towards for the last 8 years.

I don't know where to go, what to do or anything really which is kinda the point I suppose. I've saved 30k and have the qualifications to attain a good job and citizenship if I decide to, so I'm free to do whatever the hell I like.

Only problem, I don't know where to start.

I'm going to buy a Van when I arrive so I guess I will need to get some sort of mailing address for registration and insurance purposes? Should I go with one of these agencies like Ozintro to get me started, anyone have any experience with the likes?

I want to travel, work and generally soak up every experience I can, for as long as I can get away with it while I assess if, and where I would like to move permanently.

Its a big place, where should I go first?

Wow, that sounds like you're going to have a massive year ahead of you! As for getting around it all... well, a van will definitely help with that. Since it's such a large place, perhaps it might be better to eliminate where you DON'T want to go first, any types of environments/locations that you don't want to be a far (like really hot or really cold). Then, I guess you've got 8 states, and 12-months, so divide the time up proportionally. WA has biggest land mass, but that doesn't mean it has the most towns!! Use your map of places you don't want to/don't need to visit and go from there.

At a quick work out, you could probably do TAZ and ACT in a month (if not less). Then if you took a month for each of WA, NT, QLD, SA, NSW and VIC, that will bring you 7months into the trip, leaving you with 5months. You could either 1) extend your stays in the larger states (so 2months in WA, NT, QLD and NSW instead) and have 1 month to revisit things, or 2) stick to one month per state, then have an extra 5months to revisit places/states that took your fancy the first time around to reaffirm your thoughts and feelings!

You have so many possibilities and options, that it will be totally up to you. You might want to check out the average monthly weather reports for each state and use that as a guide as to where to go first/last. =D Enjoy the planning, I'm very jealous!

Thankyou very much for replying, that's helped a heap. So I'm not too sure about where not to go, I want to see it all good and bad, if i can help in any way I would be happy to do some volunteer work aswell as galavanting.

I really need to know about driving around, my friend suggested I need a 4x4, I do plan to get off the beaten track occasionally but surly a van would suffice, atleast I can live in that. Anyone with any experience driving in Australia?

Guest The Pom Queen
Thankyou very much for replying, that's helped a heap. So I'm not too sure about where not to go, I want to see it all good and bad, if i can help in any way I would be happy to do some volunteer work aswell as galavanting.

I really need to know about driving around, my friend suggested I need a 4x4, I do plan to get off the beaten track occasionally but surly a van would suffice, atleast I can live in that. Anyone with any experience driving in Australia?

Why not kill two birds with one stone and buy a 4 x 4 camper something like this http://www.britz.com.au/campervan-hire although it may cost more than you can afford. Your other alternative is to buy a van and if needed either go on a tour outback or hire a 4 x 4 for the day.

A 4x4 could certainly be an advantage, but the van does give you somewhere to stay at night. Could you go with the 4x4 and opted to stay in caravan parks? That's not too different from staying in the van, but there is obviously cost with that.

I'm planning on doing volunteer work through the WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) programme, which might be something for you to look into.

I wouldn't head North in the wet/cyclone season. November until April you are best exploring the Southern end.

Like M2M said, mate. Oct through to May in the northern half of Australia is NOT the best for newchums; the heat, humidity and terrential rains are not quite the same as in the UK.

Cheers, Bobj.

You need to be very careful about heading into the outback without a high degree of planning and the right equipment. Yes that means a 4x4 and the skills and knowledge of how to drive and maintain it.

I would avoid the summer as temps are so high. I will be in 45c tomorrow and high humidity. Heavy rain can also close roads at a moments notice.

Planning needs to include some basic desert survival, first aid, defensive driving, radio coms - the vehicle needs a radio. Maps with locations of not just towns and stations but mine sites as in an emergency these can be your closest point of help. Lots and lots of water. Then when you think you have more than enough water, add some more. I normally carry a minimum of 80ltr.

Read, plan, organize and remember the outback in Oz is not like a little jaunt into the country. It is wild and remote and people die there by making mistakes.