From 457 to PR earlier application options?

yvonnem

Hi,

My husband and I have been living and working in Sydney since March 2011. We were initially on working holiday VISAs but we have been on a 457 VISA since late August 2011 (my husband is sponsored and I'm defacto).

I noticed both our jobs are currently on the skilled list. Does anyone know if we can apply for PR now rather than waiting until we have completed two full years on our 457 VISA?

If we apply via a skilled route now, and are successful, does this mean we can apply for citizenship two years from the date of being granted PR?

Any help is appreciated. I've been quoted by an agency and they suggested applying for PR via the 190 route but they said it would then take another four years for Citizenship.

Thanks

Guest GeorgeD

I don't know anything about skilled migration sorry...but as far a Citizenship goes, you are eligible once you have been a resident in Oz for 4 years, 12 months of which must have been as a Permanent Resident. You also have to have been in Oz for 3 of the 4 years, and not absent for more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to applying.

If you arrive on a 457 and then apply for some sort of PR visa, your clock doesn't get reset, the time spent on the 457 goes towards the 4 years residency.

There is no reason at all why you have to do two years on the 457 visa, many of us are PR from the day we land in Australia. If you qualify for a PR visa then nothing stopping you applying for it.

You would not have to do another 4 years on the PR visa before getting citizenship, broadly you need to do four years in total with at least one year on the PR visa. There are rules about how much time you may spend out of the country during this period.

2 Years residency as a PR is old Citizenship requirements (pre-2007), as above you now need 4 years residency and 12 months as a PR before applying.

You can apply at any time for PR, by GSM, depending which list your occupation is on. If your occupation is on CSOL schedule 2, you will need State nomination.

To go down the GSM route you will need a Positive Skills Assessment and possibly IELTS

If either of your employers are willing to sponsor you now and hold positive skills assessment and have 3 years experience you could apply for 186 ENS.

Speak through your options with a Registered Migration Agent.

Archived