pregnant on 176 WA SS visa

catinahat1975

Hi there all.

So we have just found out that my wife could be pregnant just before we are about to leave for Oz. We have a 176 WA SS visa that is over me and understand that to have the baby in Oz is no problem but what i would like to know is,

1. should we inform them before we leave over this (we leave in 5 weeks) as my wife has still not beeen to the doctor yet.

2. could i lose the visa over this as it will change our condtions?

3. Has anyone been through this that could advise us.

Any help over this would be great

Makes no issue at all for a 176 since this is a permanent visa. You'd only need to contact DIAC if the baby was born outside of Australia - since the baby would need to obtain his/her own visa (normally a subclass 101) as the child cannot be added to a visa after it has been issued.

If the baby is born in Australia to holders of a permanent visa then he/she will be an Australian citizen and will not require a visa. His parents should also qualify for the baby bonus.

PS You'll be entitled to medicare as permanent residents but it will be impossible to obtain private insurance for the pregnancy (pre-existing condition) but medicare is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JonnyNI

Hi Everybody,

I was going to start my own thread for this but the title describes our exact situation. I had been planning to hand my notice in tomorrow but we recently found out that my wife is pregnant... With twins!!! It is only 8 weeks in and we are over the moon but it has made us feel like we are taking much more of a risk moving out there now...

We have flights booked for the 20th February and we see our options as follows:

1. Both resign and go out as planned. Biggest gamble as neither of us have a job offer yet (I'm a civil Engineer, she's an architect)

2. Neither resign, go out for 2-3 weeks and validate our visas with a view to moving out permanently after the babies are born.

3. I resign and move out now and set up for moving out full time once the babies are born. Wife comes out to validate visa but comes home and stays on in her job and I come home for the birth + 2-3 weeks. Difficult as we would be apart for soooo long...

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation??? It's soo hard to know what is right to do for us and the wee babies...

All advice will be gratefully received!!

Thanks in advance, Jonny

Guest guest30085

Hi Johnny

Congratulations on your news.

honestly, if you are in a position to afford for you to both go and possibly cope on only one wage as potentially your wife may only be able to work for a short time then you BOTH go and have the babies there OR you both valudate and then should both stay here until after the babies are born. Your wife will need you here for more than the 2 to 3 weeks, she needs you with her all the way through the pregnancy and around a lot just after.

Sorry I don't mean for that to sound as harsh as it does, I think it's lovely news but you should do it together :)

Guest JonnyNI

Thanks Adonna,

I don't think that is harsh at all. I appreciate your honesty!! These will be our first if, God willing, all goes as it should... Even with it narrowed down to two options it's still a tough one. It depends how long it takes to find work etc. she has cousins out there so family will be around to a certain extent...

Jonny

Hi Everybody,

I was going to start my own thread for this but the title describes our exact situation. I had been planning to hand my notice in tomorrow but we recently found out that my wife is pregnant... With twins!!! It is only 8 weeks in and we are over the moon but it has made us feel like we are taking much more of a risk moving out there now...

We have flights booked for the 20th February and we see our options as follows:

1. Both resign and go out as planned. Biggest gamble as neither of us have a job offer yet (I'm a civil Engineer, she's an architect)

2. Neither resign, go out for 2-3 weeks and validate our visas with a view to moving out permanently after the babies are born.

3. I resign and move out now and set up for moving out full time once the babies are born. Wife comes out to validate visa but comes home and stays on in her job and I come home for the birth + 2-3 weeks. Difficult as we would be apart for soooo long...

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation??? It's soo hard to know what is right to do for us and the wee babies...

All advice will be gratefully received!!

Thanks in advance, Jonny

As others have set I think option 3 is a non-starter. My wife and I chose option 1 because we have no family in Australia but had family support in the UK - and that was with only having one child. In your case you have cousins in Australia so you'll have to weigh up the support they'll give to what you'll get in the UK.

Don't expect it to be quick and easy to find a job in Australia. The problem you have (as do all migrants) is that it's difficult to get a job that you are qualified for because you don't have "australian experience" but it's even harder to get a more junior job to gain experience because then you are considered overqualified for it.

Archived