Still looking for a driving job: Mandurah to wherever...

DisillusionedScot

Is 46 too old to re-train in Australia?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is 46 too old to re-train in Australia?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi wakeboard1980, I do have a lot of UK driving experience, just not here, and of-course I don't have the HR license. I'm really happy to go and get it, but, here's what I'm worried about - what if there's no jobs? It's going to cost me over $1000 to get the license, but what if I do that and I still can't get work. There's been a few folk commented that here in Mandurah is not a good place to look, but that's ok, I don't mind a commute up to Perth, but what if I do that and there just aren't any jobs going. I've had a look on seek.com and I can see lots of positions for HC drivers, but so much here for HR.

Things being what they are I'm just nervous and concerned about the wisdom of spending our precious savings.

But if you don't spend a bit of money to get qualified then you won't get a job. Look where you are nowvafter looking for how long? A few months? You need to change something, and if that means sounding 1000 to get your licence then do it. You keep coming up with too many what ifs, keep doing that and you will sound all your savings and still not get anywhere

Wow you've done loads! Its a shame you cant find something with that experience.

Just dont give up, apply for everything you find and try and network - see if any of your wifes friends know of anything

Hi scottishstacy, yeah I know, there's loads in there! Even I have to admit my CV looks 'broad!' I've had a chat with my partner about maybe working in beside her, but I'm not sure that would be such a great idea. I think if there was something that came up in her work she'd let me know about it though.

But if you don't spend a bit of money to get qualified then you won't get a job. Look where you are nowvafter looking for how long? A few months? You need to change something, and if that means sounding 1000 to get your licence then do it. You keep coming up with too many what ifs, keep doing that and you will sound all your savings and still not get anywhere

You're right wakeboard1980. I think once New Year is out of the way I'll look for a training provider and just do it. I reckon it would be a good thing to have. Perhaps the forklift license as well.

Hi scottishstacy, yeah I know, there's loads in there! Even I have to admit my CV looks 'broad!' I've had a chat with my partner about maybe working in beside her, but I'm not sure that would be such a great idea. I think if there was something that came up in her work she'd let me know about it though.

Hey, i meant through her friends as in - maybe on of their husbands might know of a job. Sorry for not making myself clear :) i wouldnt want to work beside my oh either.

I think your just going to have to take the chance and spend it

You're right wakeboard1980. I think once New Year is out of the way I'll look for a training provider and just do it. I reckon it would be a good thing to have. Perhaps the forklift license as well.

I cant 'like' this on my phone but consider it liked. Good idea!

Just take a break and enjoy xmas and new year in the meantime

DS Where you get the "You just don't like it when someone does'nt agree with you"is beyond me!I don't mind at all if people disagree at all!Think you just need to bite the bullet and go for your truck license.Whats a 1,000 bucks,when you could be earning that over a week?

Agreed. I'll go for it. I'm just super nervous about spending the money and then not getting anything, but yeah. Once the New Year is out of the way I'll look for a training provider. Thanks.

Looks like a decision is made. Just stick with it now, get your licence and forklift ticket and they should hopefully open up opportunities. And like I said, maybe try a few charities and see if they need a driver or helper with a licence to get a bit of 'local' experience. Would look good to a potential employer that you have been proactive in gaining 'local' experience.

Your CV doesn't look 'broad' it looks as though you can't stick at anything. Not because you have changed jobs but because there is no discernible pattern to the moves ie they do not appear related to career progression, a broadening of skill set, or even a logical change of direction. Any CV you submit will need to be very carefully crafted and I suspect you need the help of a professional CV writer to help you come up with several different versions that hide your unrelated roles - a chronological CV will not work for you.

Employers are not interested in what you need from them - they are only interested in what you will bring to the table. If you have been a manager, as you say you have, you should already know this.

You say you want a job driving but don't have the appropriate licence - why would any employer offer you a position over someone else that does have the appropriate licence. Employers are willing to offer training but they want some basic skills to work with first. The fact you drove in the UK is irrelevant if you are not licensed to drive here.

I appreciate you are feeling frustrated but until you start helping yourself by determining what you want to do and then actively working towards it you will remain unemployable. And stop shifting the blame for your lack of success to others when you hold the key to your success, or failure, in your own hands.

DS,I guess you have to ask yourself this ok?If you don't spend the money for the license,and in 6 mths god forbid you still don't have a job,then what?FWIW I know a trucking company in Adelaide and they are usually looking for people,yes with the correct license.I know you live in WA but I believe you will get a job trucking in WA once you have that license in your hand.Best of luck and make this New Years resolution to yourself......"I will get myself a job"xx

• 4 weeks later...
[TABLE=class: jobDetailsBody]

[TR]

[TD]Just thought it could get your feet through the door.... [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: detailsHeader, align: center] Delivery Driver - Mandurah [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: detailsBG]

• Great entry level role to start a career

• Customer facing

• Opportunity for progression

REV up your career and join Repco Australia, a division of the Exego Group; Australasia's largest supplier and retailer in the automotive parts and accessories aftermarket. Be part of a dedicated team of people who are passionate about delivering our shared vision: To be Australasia's preferred supplier of aftermarket vehicle parts, solutions and accessories.

Currently a full time vacancy exists for a Delivery Driver at our Mandurah store

You will be responsible for

• Pick and deliver goods in a safe, friendly and timely manner

• Checking goods and documentation to ensure a high level of accuracy is being achieved when transporting stock.

• Adhering to relevant statutory legislation and company policies and procedures.

• Perform other Customer Sales & Service duties as required from time to time.

To be considered for this role you;

• Possess superior customer service skills

• Must be prepared to work a flexible roster

• Have an open manual motor vehicle licence.

• Strong work ethic and communication skills is mandatory.

Previous retail experience and automotive knowledge would be a distinct advantage.

If you would like to be part of a business that focuses on it's people, team culture and winning together, has plenty of opportunities for progression throughout Australasia and a generous staff discount program, then please apply on the Repco website (www.repco.com.au) and click on 'Careers'.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=class: detailsBG]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel] Job Ref : [/TD]

[TD] AU2268CT000255 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel]Location :[/TD]

[TD] WA [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel] Submitted : [/TD]

[TD] 18-12-2012 [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]email.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

there is also this up for grabs.... and before you say it.... l know you are not retired but they are obviously looking at an older generation...lol... umm ...Casual Night Delivery Driver - Greenfields, Mandur

Description

Retired but getting a little bored? With a late evening start (approx 11pm) this job will suit the night owls] We are looking for a reliable and...

Company: WestJobs

View more detail / applyicon_ext3.gif

Details

Work type: Casual position

Tenancy: Permanent, 6+ months

Number of positions: 1

Source: WESTJobs

Job ID: 2223304383

Last modified: 19 December 2012

Employer reference: 972190

Options: Apply directly to employer

How to apply

To apply, please see description above.

Enquiries from all suitable job seekers welcome...

Just heard back today, I didn't even get an interview for the driving job. Damn.

• 2 weeks later...