Medication in oz

Guest cc

Hi,

I need some advice about getting medication when in oz. :?

I have to take medication regulary for rheumatiod arthritis, and also have monthly blood tests. I know that medicare payments are taken from salary, but is it better to have private health care aswell.

Is there a standard presciption charge?

Here i can just pop along to the GP and get a prescription, is it that easy in oz?

Sorry for all the question at once

Claire :D

Guest Alison1967
Hi,

I need some advice about getting medication when in oz. :?

I have to take medication regulary for rheumatiod arthritis, and also have monthly blood tests. I know that medicare payments are taken from salary, but is it better to have private health care aswell.

Is there a standard presciption charge?

Here i can just pop along to the GP and get a prescription, is it that easy in oz?

Sorry for all the question at once

Claire :D

You pay to see the gp

you pay for the prescriptions and can swap and change who you see as the system is different from uk.

I got a letter off my GP as i need regular meds for essential hypertension and due to go over at end of month and find out myself what the gp's are like. Good Luck

Ali

Guest ABCDiamond

Alison

When you arrive, look for a "Bulk Billing" GP.

That way you don't need to go through the pay now, and claim back later routine. They get paid direct by Medicare.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MattandSarah

Nice advice about the bulk billing GP. I have a daughther with asthma who needs monthly prescriptions so will definately take heed!

Anybody know if it will all be covered by medicare? We are assuming we will need to take out decent private healthcare to top up medicare and expect it to take a big portion of our monthly budget.....

I take medicine for arthritis, my husband takes regular medication for his stomach and my son has asthma (I know we are a sickly lot :D ). We have had no problem with being covered by medicare and getting repeat prescriptions is no problem at all, just a quick phone call after the original number of repeats run out. However the medicines while not full price are a lot more expensive than in the UK where you pay 1 price regardless of what you are prescribed.

We cope with it but did notice the difference when hubby had to get more medication in the UK recently and we saved about half of our usual cost.

Nicky

Claire,

Ask your GP if he will prescribe you an extra supply for your last prescription (e.g. 2 - 3 months). If you explaine that your emigrating he'll probably do this, then you'll know you have enough meds for the first couple of months whilst you sort out a GP etc.,

Ali x

Archived