Pregnancy in 457 visa for non reciprocal health arrangements.

jilmil

hi,I am a dependent of 457 visa.We are in Australia for last 28 days and recently I discovered my pregnancy .I'm just wondering what it's going to cost me. Our private cover has a 12 month waiting period on pregnancy so we're not covered yet and won't be by the time the baby arrives.As we came here from the UK ( we are not UK citizens) we do not know where to go first.We are in Geraldton which is about 200 km from Perth.Can anyone give some idea how to do the ANC and where to go.

Hallo Jilmil and welcome to PIO.

Under the Medicare agreement, if you are a UK Citizen you are covered under the Medicare/NHS agreement. If you are not a UK citizen and your health insurance does not cover maternity benefit, then I believe that you will be up for the costs of your treatment and delivery. If anyone knows differently, please post so we all know the answer.

How long did you live in the uk for?

I'm SURE I read somewhere that it wasn't where you were a citizen of, but where you have been a resident of that decides if you are entitled to Medicare.

Medicare staff are TERRIBLY trained though, so you would have to research thoroughly and take it all with you. But I'm sure there was a couple who go Medicare as they could prove they had lived in the uk for however long it had to be.

How long did you live in the uk for?

I'm SURE I read somewhere that it wasn't where you were a citizen of, but where you have been a resident of that decides if you are entitled to Medicare.

Medicare staff are TERRIBLY trained though, so you would have to research thoroughly and take it all with you. But I'm sure there was a couple who go Medicare as they could prove they had lived in the uk for however long it had to be.

Please advice what visa you hold in the UK .

If you were normally resident in the UK and were entitled to NHS care you should be eligible to apply for a medicare card. Best way is to visit the medicare office rather than waste time asking someone over the phone.

You will need a letter from you GP (in the UK) stating that you are registered with the surgery and that are entitled to NHS care like any other person normally resident in the UK. The other way is to provide them with that yellow slip that came when you first registered with the GP . If you lost that slip you should be able to get another one by contacting you primary care trust ( again your UK GP should be able to help)

Once you get the medicare card - I beleive that there is no point in a private insurace as they are unilkley to cover anything extra (other than ambulance cost which you can buy seperatley for a lot less) .

That will be great news if it is true. We will check that. We are in tier 1 and 2 visa. In the UK any one / human being is given the best medical care free of charge what ever his visa status even illegals. We did not realize that when we were there and the agent who brought us here said its same as UK and free for all.

But thank you very much for the information. We will try and let you know the results.

Regards

Archived