Removals back to the UK

Guest div398

has anybody got any info Re: removals back to the uk from OZ?

I am looking for prices, recommendations of firms etc and If any body has gone it alone (without the use of removal companies)

We also have 2 x dogs so any info would be helpful

Thanks

Guest Emmie1968

Hi I just wanted to post some advise about our experience with Across The Ocean Shipping based in Melbourne. We arranged for them to do our shipping from Melbourne back to the UK. We have found the whole thing the most stressful experience we have ever had. We are now three weeks into our items being picked up from our house and have no idea where our belongings are. We have been given a tracking code that does not exist. Told we have to pay in full still not knowing what is going on. We were initially quoted one price and then it was changed by $725 for the same service. Our queries have not been answered and we are being treated so poorly it is a joke. Our emails asking what was happening were ignored so much so we were at the point of calling the police to investigate. We are still getting nowhere with assistance. Three guys turned up and threw our stuff in the back of the van unwrapped after saying it was going to be packed at the house. I strongly recommend you go elsewhere for peace of mind.

Thanks for sharing that information Emmie1968. The more people who are named and shamed makes it better for everyone. I hope your suspicions are groundless and all turns out OK in the long run and if not your insurance is better at providing a good service than the removalist. Fingers crossed for you.

Has anyone got any good experiences to balance up the thread?

Guest Smudge72

Hi there, first post. We're heading back to UK in Feb 2013 after 14 years in Sydney. Looking at filling a 20 foot container and currently weighing up using Allied Pickfords (global company etc etc) v Conroy (local operator but with v impressive sales rep, they partner with Anglo Pacific or White & Co in UK). Any experiences (good or bad) with either Allied Pickfords or Conroy would be appreciated.

I've got a fair bit of info saved on computer but you don't say where from? Are you in Perth or Sydney - where because I have different recommendations from different places. Also do you want a shipping container or just boxes. I have a good source recommended by several people for insurance which was cheaper than most prices offered.

When we moved from Australia to Canada we used Wainwrights, whom I was impressed with. Out of all our international moves we had the least breakages with them, and they were nice and friendly when they came to pack up. Coming back from the UK to Australia this time we used Britannia in the UK who Chess on this side of things. Britannia were great, Chess less so. There had been some mix up and they thought they were delivering to Perth metro area. Kalgoorlie had always been written on the import paperwork so we don't know how it happened. Anyway they had a 1300km round trip on their hands once they realised we were in Kal, and they were obviously told to do it in one day. So they were tired and eager to leave once they had unloaded. Unpacking was supposed to be part of the removal package, but they were in a hurry to get back to Perth that day. So they unpacked one kitchen box. I wish they hadn't because they managed to lose two items from it!

Unfortunately whoever your company chooses to use on the other side is out of your hands, unless you choose someone with a worldwide presence but even then different departments may have different standards.

Remember most people have good experiences. During 4 moves the only things we've lost have been these two kitchen items. Damage has been minimal and of an acceptable nature. I wouldn't expect a full 20ft container to arrive without any damage whatsoever. But any damage we have had hasn't been enough to make me want to deal with insurance paperwork!

Guest bambamyeovil

Unfortunately whoever your company chooses to use on the other side is out of your hands, unless you choose someone with a worldwide presence but even then different departments may have different standards.

A global presence doesn't always equal same service. As rightly mentioned, different departments/operations are run in different ways. Quite often, a branch office of say Allied or Crown will operate with a branch manager and that'll be about as high as it goes. By using a stand alone company such as Chess, Kents etc you have a greater choice of agent the other end. These agents are chosen because the give GREAT service, not just A service. More often than not, these are family companies where you deal with the owners rather than just a branch manager - there tends to be much more of a vested interest. Thats not to say the likes of Allied and Crown don't give good service by the way! They wouldn't be where they are if they didn't.

When you get quotes, the mover should always give full details of who their agent is in the destination country - be sure that they are members of FIDI as an absolute minimum. Other great standards to look for are OMNI, FAIM, and the ISO 9001:2008 quality standard. Be assured, these are not easy accreditations to get! It's the best way of joining together like minded companies who consistantly offer a high level of service. The Unigroup UTS network of companies is also good.

If you don't like the look of your agent, you can always ask for a different one. It may change your price though as the industry works in a very recipricol way - the more containers one company sends to a certain agent, the better rates they receive in return and vicer versa.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for prices, recommendations of firms etc and If any body has gone it alone (without the use of removal companies)

Thanks

We have been back in Devon for the past 9 months now after 8 yrs on Sunshine Coast...have no regrets...we used Chess..very professional...and everything arrived on the time and date they gave us of 7weeks cost was $7.500 and I highly recommend them....good luck with your move !!!

Thanks

We used Grace - not impressed. They arrived late in the day to pack, and ended up carrying stuff out in the dark. Nothing was broken though on arrival. But he nightmare began in UK as we had to delay delivery for 2 weeks. All sorts of hefty charges and no communication. they admitted they were short-staffed. But would not use again.