EOI Question - Carpenter

mattybe

I am completing my EOI at the moment, I have received and passed my Vetassess in Carpentry 331212 in which they awarded my an AQF III.

I carried out 3 years of on-job training with an old joiner and came out of the apprenticeship in 2001 but never received any formal qualifications.

My question is :-

The section "Other qualifications or awards recognized by assessing authority"

Do I enter the date of the Vetassess assessment or the dates of my apprenticeship (Even though I have no qualifications) ?

Is the Vetassess letter adequate proof of offshore qualifications ?

My other question is, I have been a carpenter since my apprenticeship so >10 years. I read that they only take into account post qualification experience. Does this mean they will only award me experience after my Vetassess date ?

Any help appreciated from someone in a similar circumstance.

I am completing my EOI at the moment, I have received and passed my Vetassess in Carpentry 331212 in which they awarded my an AQF III.

I carried out 3 years of on-job training with an old joiner and came out of the apprenticeship in 2001 but never received any formal qualifications.

Do I enter the date of the Vetassess assessment or the dates of my apprenticeship (Even though I have no qualifications) ?

My other question is, I have been a carpenter since my apprenticeship so >10 years. I read that they only take into account post qualification experience. Does this mean they will only award me experience after my Vetassess date ?

Yes, as far as I can make out after reading other threads that only post qualification experience counts!

Do you not have city and guild qualifications I put these forward to be awarded points

they want four years apprenticeship plus a years supervision for TRA to assess for a positive skills assessment

watch this one as they might not recognise your work experiance

i,m a carpenter also

No, they just requested various references, accountants letters, trade references, trade accounts, photos of work etc before allowing me to sit the skills assessment. I went to Preston and built some things with hand and machine tools and was awarded a positive assessment with an AQFIII award.

But post qualification shouldn't mean the Vetasses surely. You can't expect a builder who has been in the trade 20 years to do a Vetassess then only be able to claim 6 months experience post assessment. Thats just ludicrous.

I don't see what you mean by ludicrous, the Aussie Government can make any rule they want. They want people who have completed an approved apprenticeship,are qualified and have x amount of years experience. If someone doesn't fulfil that criteria then they don't qualify to apply for the skilled visa.

Are you using an agent? What have they said? Can you pick up the required points elsewhere?

No, they just requested various references, accountants letters, trade references, trade accounts, photos of work etc before allowing me to sit the skills assessment. I went to Preston and built some things with hand and machine tools and was awarded a positive assessment with an AQFIII award.

Did you get a positive work experience recognition ?

It would be ludicrous to only award you experience post vetassess skills assessment, but it was vetassess that awarded the AQFIII. I can appreciate they will only award points for experience post training. i.e. a doctor would only get points for post training/qualifications, not as a trainee doctor, that makes sense.

I am using and agent, they have put down AQF III with a date of 3 years from 1998 to 2001 when I finished my on job training. The agent has made a couple of fundamental bloopers so I just wanted to clarify this before maybe getting an invite and spending all the money on visa application costs, and possibly wasting my money.

Did you get a positive work experience recognition ?

Hi, I'm not sure as it was all done through my agent, he is sending me my Vetassess cert this week so hopefully that will help me put more meat on the bones of this puzzle. I did provide job references, evidence of self employment and trade references for the past number of years so I will have to wait to see the cert.

I don't see what you mean by ludicrous, the Aussie Government can make any rule they want. They want people who have completed an approved apprenticeship,are qualified and have x amount of years experience. If someone doesn't fulfil that criteria then they don't qualify to apply for the skilled visa.

Are you using an agent? What have they said? Can you pick up the required points elsewhere?

The guy is asking for advice ,also by the way the oz,s have a cheek I have run my own company for the last 15 years

i employed two oz carpenters they were nice guys but certainly no great tradesmen I hear what you are saying but if this country was in better shape they would be less picky .We have been to soft in this country too many unqualified immigrants have spoiled our trade I,m in the federation of master builders and its too easy to call yourself a builder in GB you have to be licenced in oz cuts out

a lot of cowboys .

Hi, I'm not sure as it was all done through my agent, he is sending me my Vetassess cert this week so hopefully that will help me put more meat on the bones of this puzzle. I did provide job references, evidence of self employment and trade references for the past number of years so I will have to wait to see the cert.

Keep on top of your agent on this one I think I hope I,m wrong they might not recognise your experiance as I gave my city and guilds

they then did not recognise it as I had to appeal got a letter from my foreman declaring that I done 4 years apperntship plus a further year under supervision madness as I have done a four years city and guilds already plus 10 years self employment book handed iin my agent sat on the negative work experiance for four months before I found out then I had to appeal so word to the wise do not trust them as this is your future and no one will care as much as you pester and pester them

All I really want to know is :- for offshore qualifications recognised by assessing authority, which is vetassess, who have awarded me AQF III trade certificate in Carpentry. Do I put the date of the assessment in this section, or do I put my 3 years of onjob training dates down.

I'm not asking for an opinion on what the Aussie government can or can't do. I'm asking for help in filling the EOI out correctly as I'm receiving conflicting information from my agent, yes he is MARA registered.

The guy is asking for advice ,also by the way the oz,s have a cheek I have run my own company for the last 15 years

i employed two oz carpenters they were nice guys but certainly no great tradesmen I hear what you are saying but if this country was in better shape they would be less picky .We have been to soft in this country too many unqualified immigrants have spoiled our trade I,m in the federation of master builders and its too easy to call yourself a builder in GB you have to be licenced in oz cuts out

a lot of cowboys .

And that is probably why the Aussies insist on experience post qualification! I am a time served and City & Guilds qualified carpenter & joiner. I am in no way suggesting that the OP is a chancer, in fact it seems quite the opposite, but the Aussie system cuts out the chaff and in some circumstances the wheat goes with it.

If, in the UK, it was mandatory to have a recognised qualification the the OP would have made sure he got it from day one. He has been part of the problem albeit unknowingly.

I hope the OP gets it sorted out successfully!

Thanks for that Jake, I'm totally trying to keep on top of things hence this post. The agent has already set me back 5 months, he registered me for a 190 visa with QLD and my occupation is Carpenter 331212 which he said because Joiner & Carpenter 331211 was on QLD eligible skills list it was closely related.

After 3 months and no invite I emailed QLD skilled migration unit who revealed that they don't want 331212, only 331211, hence my 190 EOI has been sat since July with no chance of an invite. Joke..

Hi mate, this is my opinion on this.

i ve been a plumber since school 24 years now.

i did a 4 year apprenticeship with YTS getting my city and guilds craft and advanced

Brief history :I got laid off in the 1992 recession with only 3 months of my apprenticeship left, luck I a aged to find work self employed ad finished my course off on day release.

while applying for our visa they picked this up stating that I'd not had 5 years supervised work, and the TRA weren't going to issue me the points I required.

my agent stated my employment record and I got references from my boss ( when I was self employed ) and they issued me the points.

thats how deep they go. Crazy I know but in a way they've got it right.

ive got my level 3 overseas and when I arrive next jan I have to apply for a plumbers licence , do a 6 day gap training course and can only work for a licenced plumber. Even though this is going to be a massive pain in the ass, at least the chancers are going to be driven out.

i wish the uk adopted this policy

good luck

ian

There is plus and minus point with all systems I suppose the oz system works back the way really in that it ask for your qualifications which is a good thing but let's say this scenario someone who takes a nine to five job never works for himself never employs anyone is a qualified tradesman but bascially is ok at his job ticks all the boxes for the visa ,but and I have come across many like this are

To be honest hopeless council workers,need to be told what to do.The skills assessment is very basic in asking for a mock mini roof and stud work

really what is this going to tell them about you nothing.would be better to assess you on site for one day the amount the charge for your test is not cheap and could be vastly improved ,I personally don't think the current system works but least they have one .what does Britain do to new immigrants nothing certainly no test as far as I,m aware we have had the best qualified tradesmen in the world leave this country for years and what is replacing them unqualified chancers I really worry for the future of our trades as its been left to rot sorry but its true

you should do a proper apprenticeship with college as part of time served

but there is plenty good tradesmen who never went to college but have served there time on the job training that's fine it's the 6 week jokers and the rest who give the trade a bad name in that sense Australia is ahead there why is the uk building trade like this one simple answer not enough tough regulator to oversea the different trades it brakes my heart to leave but at the end of the day you have to what's best for you and your family. It's the uk that will suffer in the long run

watch this space the goverment will be appealing to migrants to return a skills shortage

suprise surprise no forward thinking once again

Archived