'Do you like it here?' My quest goes on to find someone in Sydney who answers 'NO!'

MARYROSE02

I don't go out of my way to find people to ask this, but whenever I meet 'Pommy Atkins' in his/her usual habitat, i.e. the pub watching football, I like to ask the usual questions that ex-pats put to each other:-

'Where are you from?'

'How long have you been here?

'What do you do?'

'Which team do you go for? (posed with some delicacy, depending upon the pub.)

'Do you like it here?'

Last night, it was in the Royal Exhibition (the West Ham Utd pub) and the Triple Aces (Spurs) where I got talking to some young blokes from London, Kent, and Cornwall, and none of them said 'No, I don't like it here and I'm going home as soon as I can.'

When I ask them why they like it here, they usually talk about the Sydney lifestyle, weather, opportunities, beach. Of course, some of them get homesick, and/or miss family.

I'm not claiming to be carrying out any kind of scientific research project. Maybe the ones who hate it here are all at home at the weekends saving every cent they can to pay for the flights home, or perhaps in another state, in which case, based upon my 'research', they should all come to NSW!.

Guest Guest16631

..........think the answer to that depends so much on where you are in your life................often those with children find it harder............due to cost and availability and suitable venues ............to have a .....varied ......social life..............when money is tight it's often family and close friends that can be relied upon.............a new country means these safety nets are no longer available.............also ..........gone is a network of years of making ....single......young or otherwise...........have different opportunities...........I do think for many returnees............it's more about availability of their choice of lifestyle...........not always easy and indeed sometimes it takes a move away to make us realise just what we did have.................for those that stay............Australia must offer more of their needs than a return to their original place of residence..........IMO

.............sorry hadn't finished..............just to say that that for us Sydney was a ......no.........for many of the reasons above..............love to visit............as a couple...........but when younger with children ..........it didn't suit......!

Edited by Guest16631
Ipad glitch..!

TBH I would expect most people when faced with that question to moderate their response to some degree - I know I do, depending on the audience, how I feel at the time, how much I can be a45sed to get into a debate about it (which frankly in the pub I can't ever be bothered to get into such a debate at all - not the time or the place). So I don't think you can take that to mean they all love it unconditionally.

Also you're asking people in the pub on a Saturday night......your sample group is self-selecting to some extent, I wager almost exclusively singles or people in couple with no kids, who have enough disposable income to live in central Sydney and go to the pub very late on a Saturday to watch the footy. People with a pretty easy life in other words, most of whom don't have much to moan about. You're just not going to get the people who've brought their family over and are struggling to make ends meet in some far-flung suburb, are you?

TBH I would expect most people when faced with that question to moderate their response to some degree - I know I do, depending on the audience, how I feel at the time, how much I can be a45sed to get into a debate about it (which frankly in the pub I can't ever be bothered to get into such a debate at all - not the time or the place). So I don't think you can take that to mean they all love it unconditionally.

Also you're asking people in the pub on a Saturday night......your sample group is self-selecting to some extent, I wager almost exclusively singles or people in couple with no kids, who have enough disposable income to live in central Sydney and go to the pub very late on a Saturday to watch the footy. People with a pretty easy life in other words, most of whom don't have much to moan about. You're just not going to get the people who've brought their family over and are struggling to make ends meet in some far-flung suburb, are you?

You don't paint a very optimistic picture of marriage! 'When are you going to get married? You can't expect to enjoy yourself all your life!' Some of them do have families and of course they can't get to as many games as they'd like, but they are all happy. But, I will try to ask some married people with kids next!

is there a MANU pub?

I'm not sure if there is a specific pub and there are so many of them, including all the Asians, just about any pub has them. Loads of Asians get in the Triple Aces whenever Man U are on. 'Cheers' on George St always has loads of different teams' fans. I know one Manc and I think he watches the games at the Madison which is opposite the Royal Exhibition. Try Googling Man Utd in Sydney.

• 1 month later...

Have to admit we have been here 4 months and loving it.

Would love to find a metal/rock bar, but am enjoying finding new cafes and craft ale bars.

We have taken our time to settle in, getting a property to rent, jobs etc... but we feel there is so much to do and see. Happy days!!

Loving the research, and yeah I am sure different people have different experiences. I would still wager 80% of people are happier here than in their previous UK life. It does seem to me its important to get the suburb right, as I guess it could be quite isolating out in the sticks and families on a lower income wont have the same way of life as those nearer the city. Maybe we should have a poll on here?

• 1 year later...

maybe there could be a travelling survey/poll... shopping centres, the beach, pub, supermarkets etc in a variety of different suburbs - to get a good cross section of people!

Didn't realise there were UK specific football pubs - must try to avoid those ones! Craft ale sounds much better though :)

Landed in sydney with intention of settling there. .lasted 3 months.. I hated it so much, couldn't wait to get out..moved states n happier now...I never told anyone I met how miserable I was there coz that could b insulting to those who live there and its also a bit depressing to moan on like that so instead i told ppl of all the fun stuff I did in nsw...while secretly planning my escape ;)

maybe there could be a travelling survey/poll... shopping centres, the beach, pub, supermarkets etc in a variety of different suburbs - to get a good cross section of people!

Didn't realise there were UK specific football pubs - must try to avoid those ones! Craft ale sounds much better though :)

There are not any UK specific football pubs, but there are Australian pubs that show British football, and of course Pommie football fans go there to mix with Aussies who also follow the same clubs, as well as Aussies who are in the pubs to drink, gamble, watch other sporting events, and even drink craft beer, because many pubs that sell craft beer also have Fox Sports. Then again, many homesick Pommies who don't like football, do like craft beer, so even in those pubs you might find yourself mixing with Pommies rather than Aussies!

Landed in sydney with intention of settling there. .lasted 3 months.. I hated it so much, couldn't wait to get out..moved states n happier now...I never told anyone I met how miserable I was there coz that could b insulting to those who live there and its also a bit depressing to moan on like that so instead i told ppl of all the fun stuff I did in nsw...while secretly planning my escape ;)

Sydney is not for everyone, and of course, it's often the same in other parts of OZ. I never intended to settle in Sydney, planning on living in Perth, but I could not get a job there, nor in Adelaide. Sydney was just 'third time lucky.'