457 Visa and entitlement to PBS

NewBeginnings2012

Hi

hope someone can clarify. I have regular medication in the UK. Am I entitled to PBS under a 457 Visa and if so how do I go about getting subsidised medication? Do I need to register and get a Medicare card? We have BUPA cover in place.

any guidance appreciated

Thanks

what is PBS??

• 2 weeks later...

We did as lebourvellec said the day after we arrived in Australia. You can register for medicare if you have a UK passport. It was fairly straightforward, but a huge long form to fill in and sign. Excellent queuing systems here though in most government offices. We got the forms for organ donation at the same time. If you're from the UK you won't be allowed to donate blood if you are above a certain age by the way - they are scared we could have dormant mad cows disease!

As others have said, registering for medicare is simple. Once you have your card and need to see a doctor, just choose a medical practice and make an appointment. Once you have had your consultation, the receptionist will swipe your medicare card. You pay $60 (I think or $65) then get half back on your card there and then. Don't ask me why they don't just charge half the cost?

If you need a repeat perscription, the doctor will give you 5 on one script. You have to pay for each of them individually (you cant get all 5 for the same price). Most Pharmarcists will offer you the cheapest option eg generic drugs. Expect to pay anything from $7 to 25ish for popular drugs.

Archived