South West WA - tips

SophieTheSoph

My partner and I are hoping to relocate from Sydney to SW WA over the next year.

Can anyone give us the inside scoop on Bunbury/Bussleton/Margaret River? What are they like to live in? Are the people friendly? Are they the kind of places where jobs are more word-of-mouth than advertised on Seek?!

Any advice gratefully received :)

Sophie

Margaret river and Bussleton are much smaller town than Bunbury, and attract a lot of tourism. I've only visited for holidays (not Bunbury), so don't know what it's like to live there. Would imangine that Bunbury (out of the 3) being a larger town will probably have more employment opportunities.

All nice areas but I don't know what the job situation is like. Like the other post said, a lot of tourism so maybe a lot of seasonal work. I think a lot of jobs would be word of mouth down there, like you had guessed.

I think you will find it pretty quite and laid back after Sydney. We just had a long weekend in Sydney and my youngest, who's 16 and not been to Sydney before couldn't believe how busy a big City can be. Just the traffic, the sheer number of people and the business everywhere made him feel a bit anxious I think. We had 3 great days, Saturday and Sunday, with brilliant weather. Went to Manly on the ferry on Saturday and Bondi on Sunday. Monday the weather was cooler and rainy so we went for a walk through the botanic gardens and my youngster said how much he enjoyed it as it felt peaceful and there wasn't so many people around. I think we are a bit spoiled in Perth where the City is nowhere near as packed and busy and you can actually get a fair speed up on the roads.

We caught the bus from the City to Bondi and although very cheap it was packed and took forever to get there and back. Different experiance for my youngster at least.

We love it down the South West here and have had some great holidays. Don't know whether it would be too quite for us to live there, it's just about right for us in the Northern Suburbs of Perth. Nice "villagy" feel to where we live, lots of good shopping without having to go into Perth, lots of cinemas close by, 5 minutes to Hillarys Boat Harbour and the best thing, very close to a great beach.

Good luck with the move, it will be a lot different lifestyle, that's for sure.

Edited by Paul1Perth

Thanks for the replies ali and Paul1Perth :)

I'm quite excited about the change in pace actually - definitely one of the attractions for us. My partner commutes 90 mins each way to work every day so would be nice for him to wrestle some of that time back!

They do have some jobs on Seek etc, but I suspect that a lot of stuff just goes locally. Just need to pluck up the courage to make the leap...

Sophie