Ielts nightmare help!!!!

charl2

:arghh:

Can I ask if anyone has consented a IELTS result? I got L9 R9 W7 S9. But this is not the first time I've sat it an the other 2 times have got 8 in the writing! Im so frustrated!! So I'm contemplating contesting it an wondered if anyone had been successful?

Thank you Charl x

Guest katie007

Contested Many Departments like.

DIAC

Customs

ATO

Banking

TRA

Vetasses

and Countless others.

But never IELTS

IELTS Candidates receive scores on a Band Score from 1 (Non User) to 9 (Expert User). Candidates receive a score for each test component – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. The individual scores are then averaged and rounded to produce an Overall Band Score.

All IELTS marking takes place at the test centre by trained markers and examiners

Markers are trained to understand the IELTS marking policy and are required to demonstrate that they are marking to standard before they are allowed to mark Listening and Reading papers. Markers are re-tested every two years to ensure that their marking remains up to standard. Systematic monitoring and double marking of a proportion of answer sheets is carried out at each administration.

Examiners for the Writing and Speaking sub-tests are recruited and trained in line with agreed standards. They are required to demonstrate that they are marking to standard every two years in addition to on-going monitoring of their performance.

Candidates receive scores on a Band Scale from 1 to 9. A profile score is reported for each skill. The four individual scores are averaged and rounded to produce an Overall Band Score. Overall Band Scores and scores for each sub-test (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) are reported in whole bands or half bands.

Overall band score

Candidates receive a Test Report Form setting out their Overall Band Score and their scores on each of the four sub-tests: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. Each of the sub-test scores is equally weighted. The Overall Band Score is calculated by taking the mean of the total of the four individual sub-test scores.

Overall Band Scores are reported to the nearest whole or half band. For the avoidance of doubt, the following rounding convention applies; if the average across the four skills ends in .25, it is rounded up to the next half band, and if it ends in .75, it is rounded up to the next whole band.

Thus, a candidate achieving 6.5 for Listening, 6.5 for Reading, 5.0 for Writing and 7.0 for Speaking would be awarded an Overall Band Score of 6.5 (25 ÷ 4 = 6.25 = Band 6.5).

Likewise, a candidate achieving 4.0 for Listening, 3.5 for Reading, 4.0 for Writing and 4.0 for Speaking would be awarded an Overall Band Score of 4.0 (15.5 ÷ 4 = 3.875 = Band 4.0).

On the other hand, a candidate achieving 6.5 for Listening, 6.5 for Reading, 5.5 for Writing and 6.0 for Speaking would be awarded band 6 (24.5 ÷ 4 = 6.125 = Band 6).

Guest katie007
Thanks Katie. I just need to get the four 8's it's so frustrating as I'm scoring an over all band 8.5 but this doesn't count!

You could try to dispute it, but do not like your chances due to them assessing their testers every 2-years, did you attend the same test location?

I see you are in Flintshire, is that Wales? As you may have a Scottish Lass marking your Writing Sheet, just after Wales killed Scotland in Rugby. (Thats a Joke OK)

IMO I found the test very subjective and some of the questions quite ambiguous. That said they are only looking for one answer and thats the correct one.

I took the damn thing 3 times until i passed and can really understand your frustration as i missed out on half a mark each time i failed. I got so frustrated that i felt like giving up ! Eventually i talked to one of the moderators at the test center (Bath Uni) and they offered me some usefull advice on how best to approach the test and tips on how to maximise your success. They were very helpfull. Armed with this new found confidence i sat for a third time and passed.

Hang in there dont give up. If its writing your struggling with do some reading of some essays if you can find some, pay attention to spelling and grammar and think what you want to say in the piece and structure so that you have an introduction summarising your main points, then elaborate main points and issues in the middle of the piece and i always ended with a paragraph to give a conclusion.

Good luck i hope this helps.

BTW my writing i think was 8.5.

mine was marked three times!! imo i would get a re mark..... kick up a fuss... thats what i did and i got what i required..

i dont know if it made a difference or not but i mithered the centre manager loads and explanied the scores i required... kicked up a big fuss about the test being unfair, and voila got the exacts scores i needed.........

Guest surileo

This score of yours is breath taking. But having said that it is better to always look at the way you prepare yourself for writing. I had the same issue and felt that writing would be really easy. Sometimes i use to get 8 and sometimes i got 7. Later i went ahead with some of the videos that were available online. The one i would suggest you is "English Ryan". This video was extremely helpful and helped me get 8 in writing. The best part is i was able to finish the task in 45 mits in total. All the best!!!!

Cheers!!!!!

Even I feel the same to get IELTS score , Being from India and not grown up in English speaking country ... it's reallly togh to get EVEN 7 in alll form me... I too is feel Writing most difficult to ScOre high. If any one have some suggestion .....nd tips on personal experience .. pls share

Thanks in Advance.

:arghh:

Can I ask if anyone has consented a IELTS result? I got L9 R9 W7 S9. But this is not the first time I've sat it an the other 2 times have got 8 in the writing! Im so frustrated!! So I'm contemplating contesting it an wondered if anyone had been successful?

Thank you Charl x

I can feel your pain Charl.

Yes, I did contest my result. I needed at least 7 across all categories and ended up with a dismal 6.5 in speaking(the others L/R/W 9/9/7). Didn't have it in me to sit the test again so I contested the result(EOR) and ended up with with the coveted "7" apart from getting a refund for the EOR fee.

That's my story, but IMO the odds of getting a favorable 1 band remark would be quite slim. With you being a native English speaker I'd suggest you retake it rather than wait for another agonizing month at least to get the final verdict.

Good luck :wubclub:

If you think that you did as good a job in the writing as you did when you got an 8, then I would apply for a remark. Marking the writing or speaking test is subjective and you never know.

I had L9 R9 W7.5 S9 and applied for a remark - it got increased to W8.5. It costs £60 to apply for the remark but you get that back if it's successful.

Good luck!

- Gary

If you think that you did as good a job in the writing as you did when you got an 8, then I would apply for a remark. Marking the writing or speaking test is subjective and you never know.

I had L9 R9 W7.5 S9 and applied for a remark - it got increased to W8.5. It costs £60 to apply for the remark but you get that back if it's successful.

Good luck!

- Gary

Wow, talk about being on the wrong side of subjectivity! I withdraw my earlier suggestion to retake the test in favor of gjg's comment & suggestion to go for a remark.

Thanks for pitching in with your experience gjg :smile:

Archived