midwife needs advice please.

glasgowmidwife

Hi everyone,

I'm hopefully moving to Melbourne in July 2013 and trying to get a good idea on maternity hospitals in Melbourne. I work in the UK and I was wondering about staffing levels. Over here I think it is very under statffed, for example, postnatal ward where I work in staffed by 3 midwives for a 29 bedded ward. Is this typical for maternity hospitals in Melbourne for both private and public?

Any help would be great.

Hi

I might be able to help you, but i might rethink Melbourne as the money is made in WA or NSW. I work for a medical recruitment agency placing contract and perm midwives. midwives can earn around $55per hour in NSW health rates and $48 in WA health rates. I would stay away from private hospitals, they dont pay more and some have a reputation for hard line work.

Feel free to give me your private email address or phone number (even if it is in the UK) i will call you from my office.

Its worth asking... are you a Registered Nurse as well or just Midwifery? Here is Australia Midwives are also RN's unlike the UK where you can be a Midwife but not a registered nurse either. Plus you will need to be APHRA registered too.

Dx

Most of the large public hospital have maternity section. Have a look at the following sites, Peninsula Health, Southern Health, Western Health, Barwon Health, Northern Health, also look at teh Royal Womens Hospital, St Vincents and The Mercy hospital.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Box Hill is part of Eastern Health and Monash is part of Southern Health :)

We just had our little munchkin at Casey in Berwick (Southern Health) which is a midwife led unit and seemed to have a great feel about it. I'm not sure what their staffing ratios were, but they seemed pretty good to me (and were definitely better than you mentioned).

:)

Archived