Highton or Torquay

craig filer

I will soon be moving over to Oz and struggling to find a location. I am travelling alone for 1st few months then being followed by the family which consist of wife and 2 children aged 14 & 10.

We are looking for a new house with a modern contemporary feel and looking for some ideas.

Kids love their sport and son plays for an academy side whilst daughter is a good gymnast and swimmer.

All ideas welcome

Welcome, think I have seen other posts from you around, have you joined Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one and you may get a lot of help on it.

Also you can see that there are people who arrange meetups from time to time and this is very useful for making contact.

Hi, we live in Wandana Heights Highton & love it. Came over just over a year ago with our two son now 15 & 12 yr old daughter. You'll probably find more choice in Highton & surrounding areas like schools sports facilities etc.Tourquay is only 20 mins away so move here and enjoy the best of both! Will PM you some links re housing etc as don't want to bore others! When are you arriving? Happy to hook up with you if you feel lost and abandoned :biggrin:

Hi ? Sorry didnt catch your name.

TBH Highton is the area that we are more drawn to because of the close vicinity to Geelong and as you say Torquay only twenty minutes away. i would be looking to rent for few months until family get over and in that time decide on an area and a house, although we have seen some fantastic contemporary style house around.

I would be moving over 1st week in January to start the new job on the 7th so we have a lot to do before i come over, and as you have already experienced the daunting task of actually uping sticks, but leaving family for 4 months will be tough.

It would be great to keep in touch and if you don't mind sending you questions as we have more and more i would be extremely grateful

Thanks

Craig (Filer Family)

Both are great suburbs, we live in Torquay and it was the same dilemma for us. We love Torquay as it's so beautiful and relaxed. Highton is closer to the high schools and sporting/swimming facilities. Then again Torquay is building a state of the art high school. Plenty of contemporary houses in both areas. Pop in for a coffee/meal we have kids aged 5 11 13.

In answer to the OP's thread, we've been living in Jan Juc (next door to Torquay) for 5 weeks after our return from 14 months in the UK. Torquay's great, and I could spend the summer there, but most of what we do with our lives is located closer to Geelong, which is why we have been looking for a house to rent in Highton and Newtown. We're renting as I still have a sneaking suspicion the property market won't be going anywhere north in this part of Victoria.

We've racked up more than 2,300km's in 3 weeks travelling up and down the Surf Coast Highway, and with the Waralily and Villawood developments about to get under way at Armstrong Creek I think the journey time to and from the Surf Coast is going to be increasing over coming years.

Highton is therefore my recommendation over Torquay for a place to live. You'll be close to Waurn Ponds for shopping, Leisurelink for swimming (was at squad there this morning), Kardinia Pool (open air 50m pool - was there yesterday morning); and from Highton the ring road is at the top of the Barrabool Road => Melbourne's about 50 minutes away, outside rush hours.

Best regards.

PS. As an aside (and forgive me for going off topic) - we're looking for an admin and telephone answering person to join the Go Matilda Visas and GM Tax team, based in Geelong.

If anyone reading this (or anyone you know) has relevant experience please feel able to send an email to me: alan.collett - at - gomatilda - dot - com

We're moving over at the beginning of February and ideally want to move to Highton, as we love the area. Prices seem to be levelling out and as Alan says you're not far from the ring road and can also be down to Ocean Grove in 30 minutes, as well as Melbourne in 50 minutes so you've got the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

We're in Torquay though hubby works in Geelong. Real estate dot com will show the rental/purchase prices in both areas. What drew us here was that the kinder, primary and secondary school are next door to each other (till 2014 at least!) which saves my sanity during school runs. The beaches are gorgeous and a lovely selection of restaurants. There is a good skate park next to the library. There are good local sports provisions too for football, soccer, netball etc. My kids are starting cricket next week.

We do travel to Wuarn Ponds for swimming lessons once a week and Grovedale for gymnastics twice a week and that's also the nearest cinema.

Good luck with your decision - it's a tricky one but I chose Torquay while we still lived in England and was able to show the kids the school website etc to prepare them for the move.

I recently posted regarding the Highton and areas to settle upon our move over from the UK, but my dear wife has now looked at the Point Cook area.

She has heard that there are issues with Mosquito's, and smell from the nearby refinery .

Is there any truth in this?

Just i though we knew where we were going to move?

Also i am looking for a fully furnished contemporary apartment for a 4 month

Highton is a really lovely area. My cousins grew up there (and my mum and granddad are in the cemetery). Newtown is also nice. Some really good schools, particularly the Catholic schools Sacred Heart and St Joe's, but you've got Geelong College there as well (or is it Grammar? I always mix those two up).

I wouldn't live full time in Torquay, especially if working in Geelong as traffic in the summer is a nightmare. Barwon Heads/Ocean Grove/Drysdale/etc out the other way from Geelong all have nice areas if you wanted to be by the ocean. My grandparents have just sold a house in Ocean Grove that they'd had for 25 years, so I spent a lot of time down that way.

There's Grovedale in between Geelong and Torquay as well but I don't know what that's like nowadays, moved out of there when I was 5.

we are moving to Belmont / Highton area in feb. We're a family of 4 , 2 boys 6 & nearly 2. I'm very scared now as things are moving, in temp rented until we go, house sorted with someone renting. Need to focus on schools, jobs, houses, removals.....list seems to go on. I'm glad others are liking the area, would be lovely to keep in touch with some of you. Have any of you looked into schools in the area? I've had some great feedback from Oberon ps.

There are quite a few of us around now! If you're on facebook there is a great group you may wan to join called Mummies in Highton, Belmont, Newtown, Geelong https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/HIGHTONMUMMIES/

also have a look at Brits in Geelong https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/356349787727905/

We get together quite a lot and try to arrange things to suit us all.

My daughter is in yr 6 at Highton Primary and loves it. More than happy to help if you want any info. Can't say I'm an expert as only been here for a year but can hopefully point you in the right direction

Thank you! How are you finding it? is it as you thought it would be? Anything surprised you which you didn't think would? Any guidance would be greatly recieved!!! Are you working? Sorry for the questions ;-) x

There are quite a few of us around now! If you're on facebook there is a great group you may wan to join called Mummies in Highton, Belmont, Newtown, Geelong https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/HIGHTONMUMMIES/

also have a look at Brits in Geelong https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/356349787727905/

We get together quite a lot and try to arrange things to suit us all.

My daughter is in yr 6 at Highton Primary and loves it. More than happy to help if you want any info. Can't say I'm an expert as only been here for a year but can hopefully point you in the right direction

• 2 weeks later...

If you're set on a modern, new home then look in Highton. It has a nice village feel and is close to both the coast and Geelong city. Torquay is lovely in the summer but in the winter, it's dead. Point Cook is a new, soul-sucking, concrete wasteland full of new, boxy housing developments and shopping malls.

we are moving to Belmont / Highton area in feb. We're a family of 4 , 2 boys 6 & nearly 2. I'm very scared now as things are moving, in temp rented until we go, house sorted with someone renting. Need to focus on schools, jobs, houses, removals.....list seems to go on. I'm glad others are liking the area, would be lovely to keep in touch with some of you. Have any of you looked into schools in the area? I've had some great feedback from Oberon ps.

You will like Belmont. The area between Roslyn Road and the River has some of the loveliest weatherboard homes in Geelong and the properties tend to be built on large lots.

Belmont Primary School on Mount Pleasant Road has a stellar reputation, and offers state of the art facilities after having recently undergone major renovations. You should definitely set up an appointment to visit this school with your children.

Thanks Ruby Tuesday. Thats really helpful and good to her your perception. I can't fault how helpful those schools have been todate. We loved Belmont and it felt right. Fingers crossed we secure work etc and can find a decent place to live ;-)

Check here for rentals: www.realestate.com.au/rent

Also CJ Keane Real Estate has quite a few rental properties in Belmont. http://www.cjkeane.com.au

I suggest you contact them prior to your move and provide them with the details of what sort of housing you are after and how much money you are willing to spend. Keep in mind that you will most likely have to provide your own fridge and washer/dryer, as these are not commonly provided in rental properties.

Also if you are looking for a family doctor, Kardinia Health on Colac Road is accepting new patients: http://www.kardiniahealth.com.au

Ex Torquay resident here.

Its a lovely spot with amazing beaches and a real classy feel.

If I was to move over that way again I'd choose Highton or Belmont as most of what you need to do is in these areas and the house prices are way more reasonable. The winter weather and indeed summer weather in Torquay can have a real chill to it, Geelong is a city that grew on me long term. If you are not that set on all year round sunshine as per the Aussie sales brochure then I think Geelong is a cracking spot.

I'm not a fan of Point Cook, I friends there nah not nice.

Picking up on another point its not really near the refinery.

Good luck

Hi there, i'm a mum of 3, aged 6,4,2 and we are flying over late February 2013. We have a holiday rental in Belmont for a month until we an find a longer term rental - would be great to meet up with some people if possible and get the low-down and some friendly faces!

Hi there, i'm a mum of 3, aged 6,4,2 and we are flying over late February 2013. We have a holiday rental in Belmont for a month until we an find a longer term rental - would be great to meet up with some people if possible and get the low-down and some friendly faces!

I'm mum of 2, 6 & 2 we arrive 4th feb staying in holiday cabin for three weeks in Belmont while we find rental. I would love to meet up! What work will you/partner both be in? Have you looked at schools yet?