Which Bank??

Kev Rad

Good Morning All.

We are looking at coming to WA in the new year and are looking to open a bank account pretty soon.

Could anyone recommend a particular bank? I've looked and they all seem pretty much of a muchness any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Kev

The big four are indeed much of a muchness, similar to in the UK, where customer service quality depends very much on which branch/staff-member you deal with rather than which bank that branch belongs to.

There are far more charges etc associated with banking than in the UK, for example you get charged for using an atm that doesn't belong to your bank. for that reason, the best bank for you is probably going to be one with a branch/atm conveniently close to your place of work.

You also don't have to limit yourself to a single bank. We have current accounts at one, credit card from another, and savings accounts from another (don't ask me why, that's the setup OH had when I moved here). For creditcard and savings, just look around for the best deal, they can be linked to your current account from a different bank, so really doesn't make much difference, and you don't need the atm for these...

Guest The Pom Queen

I prefer NAB as they have a migrant team both in the UK and Australia, there are no monthly fees like the other banks and your cards are waiting at your closest branch when you arrive, I know other banks post them out to you which can be a pain if you have no fixed abode

Westpac have a migrant banking service too so you can sort stuff before you leave UK. Basically though all of the big banks are very much the same and I agree with RockDr's comments. As you are coming to WA you might want to consider BankWest. They are owned by Commonwealth Bank now (used to be owned by Bank of Scotland) and you can use the ATM's for both banks without incurring fees. They used to have a branch in London, but not sure if they do any more though.

Guest The Pom Queen
Westpac have a migrant banking service too so you can sort stuff before you leave UK. Basically though all of the big banks are very much the same and I agree with RockDr's comments. As you are coming to WA you might want to consider BankWest. They are owned by Commonwealth Bank now (used to be owned by Bank of Scotland) and you can use the ATM's for both banks without incurring fees. They used to have a branch in London, but not sure if they do any more though.

Westpac do, the only thing I hate about their service is you don't get your card for over 5 working days and you have to have an address for them to send it to.

I prefer NAB as they have a migrant team both in the UK and Australia, there are no monthly fees like the other banks and your cards are waiting at your closest branch when you arrive, I know other banks post them out to you which can be a pain if you have no fixed abode

They were brilliant for us, deposits, cards, internet banking...all handled very efficiently.

Went in about 4 months later with a bag of coins and the girl who set us up still remembered my name instantly. Totally different experience.

Archived