Seriously losing my bottle!

hope2

Hi there

I'm seriously starting to lose my bottle about migrating. It's such a hard thing to do.... and so stressful already, it seems. I'm never going to know if it's the right thing to do until I give it a go..... but with 2 children (one who does not want to go aged nearly 12, the other just a baby), I don't know if I can pull them out of the stable life here without feeling like I might be ruining things for them.

Just got positive skills assessment, ielts passed by husband, all ready to lodge visa....should be happy but I'm terrified. If we had a job set up it would be absolutely fine. But with no job - finding a house, job and good school all in one seems like a huge task.

I know there's loads of you who've done it (and well done as I know it takes a lot of courage) any tips/advice/help? I may not just be losing my bottle but hitting the bottle soon aswell!

Thanks

:) hi guys, dont lose your bottle!!! we have a 14 & 5 year old, and as you can imagine our 14 year old didnt want to go to begin with because of leaving his mates etc. but now he cant wait to get there!! we tried to keep him involved when we were looking at schools, areas etc which i think helped, i will be honest and say that a couple of times i have thought " what the heck are we doing" but we are doing this to have a better life for us and the kids, it will be worth it in the end!! :jiggy:

Guest vanita suman

We initially migrated to Sydney in Jan 2001 and then we had my son out there in Oct 2003. We came back to UK in Jan 2005 to be closer to family because I needed to work full-time and wanetd my son to get to know the family. We have been back 3 years and put the house up for sale yesterday to move back out to Sydney! I am very close to my family and am really going to miss the support from my Mum and brother. I was feeling sick all day yesterday because I am really nervous about moving back out with a child - it was completely different when it was just the two of us. However, believe me it Australia is a much better place to bring up children in my opinion and offers a much more laid back life which we want our son to experience. That is why we are going back although I am still 50/50 about the whole move only because I don't want to leave my family behind.

You will be ok and it's only natural to be nervous. I've already lived out there and know what to expect but I am still nervous. You will not regret it - it is a fantastic place.

Vanita

• 10 months later...
Guest treesea
However, believe me it Australia is a much better place to bring up children in my opinion and offers a much more laid back life which we want our son to experience. That is why we are going back although I am still 50/50 about the whole move only because I don't want to leave my family behind.

Vanita

Maybe that's true from the parent's point of view, but I can tell you this from my own experience, - from the child's point of view, it's terrible to grow up without all your aunties, uncles , cousins and grandparents around, with just your mum and dad and siblings as family. When I think about how we would come back every five years or so and have to get to know our family - who all knew each other well - all over again....oh, no, never again. I am home now, and my children will not grow up the way I and my brother did, that's for sure. Home at last, with family from Cornwall to Dundee - just the way it should be.

You will always get those of us who disagree with the "Australia is the best place in the world for the kids". Personally I think there is very little difference by the time they leave uni - there are pluses and minuses to both countries but if you take a holistic view of a child's life, as Treesea so eloquently said, it is the people in it which make it a whole life not the stuff that they have around them.

Many young Aussies cant wait to get out of the place when they leave school/uni, some of them go back to Aus after their travels but many dont, especially those with dual citizenship who find that the lure of Europe and the buzz of living at the centre of it all instead of just a backwater miles from anywhere is where they want to develop careers and establish themselves.

I reckon that if you can take Aus as an adventure with opportunities not to be missed then dont miss them but if what you seek is greener grass because of boredom then do what you can to make your life back home less boring and the very best it can be and dont burn any bridges in either process. Good luck with it, whatever path you decide to go down!

There was no one as nervous as me when we came out here,,,

no job , no school sorted and not a overly bulging bank balance,,, but hey ,, there would be nothing worse than having hindsight, what if etc,,,if it go's 'tits up' so what,,,move back but at least you can say you tried,,,we did it with 3 kids ,,12 ,9 and 7 ,,kids are ok they can adapt to anything and if our 12(now 13)year old 'kevin & perry' daughter can do it ,,anybody can,,

Go for it !!! and good luck !!!

Many young Aussies cant wait to get out of the place when they leave school/uni, some of them go back to Aus after their travels but many dont, especially those with dual citizenship who find that the lure of Europe and the buzz of living at the centre of it all instead of just a backwater miles from anywhere is where they want to develop careers and establish themselves.

And tons of British people can`t wait to leave UK also.

When they`re younger and when they`re older with their qualifications and skills. Look at any engineering/mechanical/design/technology/science industry and it will be full of the top performing Brits. But these industries will not be in UK.

There is a huge `brain drain` from UK. This country can`t keep these people here.

Guest donovan
Hi there

I'm seriously starting to lose my bottle about migrating. It's such a hard thing to do.... and so stressful already, it seems. I'm never going to know if it's the right thing to do until I give it a go..... but with 2 children (one who does not want to go aged nearly 12, the other just a baby), I don't know if I can pull them out of the stable life here without feeling like I might be ruining things for them.

Just got positive skills assessment, ielts passed by husband, all ready to lodge visa....should be happy but I'm terrified. If we had a job set up it would be absolutely fine. But with no job - finding a house, job and good school all in one seems like a huge task.

I know there's loads of you who've done it (and well done as I know it takes a lot of courage) any tips/advice/help? I may not just be losing my bottle but hitting the bottle soon aswell!

Thanks

Hiya Hope2

Try & stay strong hun, if you remember Wanted down under(Jones family) my older son really pulled a lot of heart strings as he really did not want to go which made us think can we do this to him, take him away from his stable life in the UK, but hey we had to make the decision and a hard one it was but it has really paid off as he really loves it over here, best thing we ever did, his attitude has changed and everyday I look at my kids and think I am so proud that I made the move they have a much better life in Oz

Sarah x

Well, it was a surprise when I logged on today and saw this old post of mine come up again!

I posted this 11 months ago... I lodged the visa, it was granted (hooray) and we've just got back from validating. The eldest still doesn't want to go and I'm still anxious about her. It's difficult at the moment as I'm seeing alot of changes going on with her and I can't tell whether it's hormones or the Aus thing or both!

Our house is on the market and we'll go for it when the house sells. It could be the best thing we've ever done, or maybe not, but I feel very fortunate to be able to have the opportunity and make a go of it.

As always the advice given has been invaluable and a comfort. I can understand both points of view but planes do fly back to UK aswell and my eldest will have opportunities and life decisions of her own in a few years, but in the meantime, we'll stick together as a family and get through it together.

Thanks all for posting :notworthy: it doesn't quite feel as scary knowing I'm not alone. Thank-you!

Guest WARDStoOZ

My goodness Jas!

This thread scared me until I saw the date lol... I thought you were going to back out now lol!!!

Glad to hear you're still going to give Oz a go...!

Dan xx

pmsl thanks guys! It shocked me too having an old post like that pop up out the blue!

Just goes to show the high and lows of the whole thing - the rollercoaster ride and all that! And just to prove it... I can't wait to get out there now!!

So just need the house to sell like the rest of us!

I've also started to do the lottery - maybe that'll be a quicker route in than house selling at the moment lol!

Guest WARDStoOZ

And just to prove it... I can't wait to get out there now!!

So just need the house to sell like the rest of us!

I've also started to do the lottery - maybe that'll be a quicker route in than house selling at the moment lol!

Lol... Good Luck with both the house and the lottery...!!!

Dan xx :emoticon-signxmas:

Archived