New to Perth

buckydee

Hi All,

Posted on here earlier in the year when we were still looking into emigration and found it really helpful! So I have returned to post again after having been here for just over a month now!

Managed to get a sponsored job providing a 457 visa for myself and my boyfriend along with temporary accommodation. They also paid for our flights and shipping which was amazing - we never could have done it without it as we have no savings.

Anyway, just moved into a villa in Nollamara - apparently not the nicest area, but it's quiet and the house is pretty big and very modern (very echoey and feels a bit like we're squatting as our stuff from the UK hasn't arrived yet!)

Job's going well, although there's quite a lot of Brits and, suprisingly, most of the people in my office aren't from Australia, and my boyfriend's just, finally, landed a locksmith job so after a tumultuous first month, things are looking up!

Anyway, we're keen to meet people outside of work and really just wanted to see if there were any other people in the Nollamara area or anywhere else really who would like to meet up with some fellow poms? We're not big clubbers, but like live music, evenings in the pub, or dinner and drinks at home. We're also into cycling, walking, camping and movies.

Cheers! :)

What do you think of Nollamara? It used to be dire - not as bad as Girrawheen, but a bit bad. It is supposed to be up and coming though. I'd be interested to see what it is like now.

Hi All,

Posted on here earlier in the year when we were still looking into emigration and found it really helpful! So I have returned to post again after having been here for just over a month now!

Managed to get a sponsored job providing a 457 visa for myself and my boyfriend along with temporary accommodation. They also paid for our flights and shipping which was amazing - we never could have done it without it as we have no savings.

Anyway, just moved into a villa in Nollamara - apparently not the nicest area, but it's quiet and the house is pretty big and very modern (very echoey and feels a bit like we're squatting as our stuff from the UK hasn't arrived yet!)

Job's going well, although there's quite a lot of Brits and, suprisingly, most of the people in my office aren't from Australia, and my boyfriend's just, finally, landed a locksmith job so after a tumultuous first month, things are looking up!

Anyway, we're keen to meet people outside of work and really just wanted to see if there were any other people in the Nollamara area or anywhere else really who would like to meet up with some fellow poms? We're not big clubbers, but like live music, evenings in the pub, or dinner and drinks at home. We're also into cycling, walking, camping and movies.

Cheers! :)

Sounds like you've done pretty well for only being here a month. If you like biking there are some great road and mountain bike rides around Perth. The City is a good place to take a road bike and use the bike paths round the river. You can follow the river paths round for miles, either side.

A nice, easy mountain bike ride is through the John Forrest National Park. We usually take the bikes to Midland where there is a car park at the bottom end of the park and you can use the old railway line path, even go through the old tunnel if you want. There are some nice picnic areas next to the streams that run through there. You can pick how far you want to go and make a day of it. Great time of year to go as the flowers are in bloom.

Archived