BuildIng in tasmania

coleraine64

• 2 weeks later...
Guest karlpatrick

Hi All

Just asking if anybody out there knows what the construction work is like in tas at the moment. I am a qualified pipe layer, and all i need is a job offer in place so i can apply for my RSMS visa, I have an agent in tas working on my behalf, so i would really appreciate some advice. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All

Just asking if anybody out there knows what the construction work is like in tas at the moment. I am a qualified pipe layer, and all i need is a job offer in place so i can apply for my RSMS visa, I have an agent in tas working on my behalf, so i would really appreciate some advice. Thank you

Dire,,,very quiet at the moment

Not sure how much call there would be for pipe layers

Alot of the Tradies are leaving for the mainland, as Tas is going through a really bad time

Sorry, not what you want to hear, but we are in construction and havent seen it this quiet before

Anyone got any views on building in Tassie. My only worry is the amount of time we would need to be in rental for. Any recommendations on local builders or even house designers, either in the Hobart or launceston regions. Thanks Anne.

Sorry, I didn't see this when first posted.

The time to get planning approvals can be very slow as there are many state regulations and local council regulations to work through. Personally, I wouldn't be in a hurry to build until I had got a "feel "for different areas.

The only design team I have any personal knowlege of is

http://www.cleverdesign.com.au/

in Hobart.

But I have to declare a vested interest as my son in law is an employee!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anne, Indeed I could write an epic all factual Novellia on the character building experience of building a home in TAS. I suppose to cut a ridiculously long story short I seriosusly recommend buying an established home if you intend to move to Tas.

I have a breathtaking beautiful stone & log craftsman built home on a pristine 4.6 acre fresh water riverfront around 40 minuites south of Hobart. After the 6 years it took to complete at double my planned budget I had to move back to Sydney Au's to earn enough extra income to cover the resulting substancial motgage. I have not even lived in my dream home since it was completed & it is far too exquisitly finished to rent. Since then I have encountered serious illness within my close family & the heartbreaking result is I now have my home in Tas on the market for not much over half what it owes me.

Regardless of where you buy in Tas I can not stress the point strongly enough that you are a great deal better off to buy a fully esablished home with an official dwelling certificate. Indeed to say builders in Tas are a ridiculous joke is a profound understatement,

Kind regards skilledhansgirl.

Thank you for all the thoughts. We have done our recent trip and now wondering what next. Worried about the state of the economy and are we taking a step backwards, will definitely think twice before we sell up in Perth and move on.

thanks again.

Hi Anne, Indeed I could write an epic all factual Novellia on the character building experience of building a home in TAS. I suppose to cut a ridiculously long story short I seriosusly recommend buying an established home if you intend to move to Tas.

I have a breathtaking beautiful stone & log craftsman built home on a pristine 4.6 acre fresh water riverfront around 40 minuites south of Hobart. After the 6 years it took to complete at double my planned budget I had to move back to Sydney Au's to earn enough extra income to cover the resulting substancial motgage. I have not even lived in my dream home since it was completed & it is far too exquisitly finished to rent. Since then I have encountered serious illness within my close family & the heartbreaking result is I now have my home in Tas on the market for not much over half what it owes me.

Regardless of where you buy in Tas I can not stress the point strongly enough that you are a great deal better off to buy a fully esablished home with an official dwelling certificate. Indeed to say builders in Tas are a ridiculous joke is a profound understatement,

Kind regards skilledhansgirl.

I am originally from Tasmania. The state of the economy does not inspire me to move there at the moment. Definitely not a lot of action in civil construction or domestic building. With Gunns (forestry) taking a financial dive, a lot of associated businesses and suppliers have suffered in addition to the mishandling of the economy by the state government resulting in job losses. The good news is that there are many houses on the market so you can 'snap' up a high spec bargain.