Anyone been to Port Douglas in Queensland?

millers

It's awesome :) We went there two years ago when I first came to Australia.

Because it's further North than Cairns (only 40min or so drive iiirc), the boats can reach some of the more pristine and unspoilt parts of the reef. Then there's also the Daintree area which is great to explore. Lovely beach (though look out for signs about crocs/stingers etc, when I was there they had stinger nets up so could still swim).

There's a good selection of restaurants etc, basically it's very well set up for a lovely holiday in the tropics :)

Guest The Pom Queen

PD is stunning and about 30 - 40 minutes from Cairns, its a great place to explore the reef, the Quicksilver tours leave from PD

I can only agree with RockDr. It's a fabulously beautiful place. It reminds me of somewhere mediterranean. Great restaurants & pavement cafes.

It has a lovely vibe about it. Lush, very green & tropical. Although we hired a car, we only used it to & from the airport & to Daintree rain forest & crocodile park.

If you book somewhere to stay, try & make it walking distance from the shops & beaches, which are in close proximity to each other, anyway. I say this because, if like me & my hubby, you both like a drink, you won't need to take it in turns to drive.

Everything is in short walking distance if you pick a central hotel. There are plenty to choose from.

All in all, a perfect relaxing holiday destination for all age groups.

Just been emailed a great deal from a travel company and wanted any feedback on Port Douglas. How far away is Cairns from it and is it good to explore the Great Barrier Reef?:biglaugh:

Guest The Pom Queen

mile-beach-port-douglas-2206.jpg

This is 4 mile beach, it's perfect. I have lots of photos somewhere so will try and upload them when I've a chance

Just been emailed a great deal from a travel company and wanted any feedback on Port Douglas. How far away is Cairns from it and is it good to explore the Great Barrier Reef?:biglaugh:

Its LOVELY :D

We just treated ourselves to a few days 'holiday' (from our holiday, as its such hard work lol), there a couple of weeks ago, and had the nicest time :)

The beach is stunning, its a lovely little sleepy place to holiday, the market is fun on a sunday (all home made stuff, not cheap imported junky stuff, which makes a nice change and there are some really unique things, 99% imho quality stuff)

Agree with the comment about where you are based makes a difference - we were 5 mins walk to the beach, 5 mins to the town centre, a street back from the main street so nice and quiet. If you are down the road into PD, imho I don't think it would be as good, as you would need to drive whenever you wanted to go anywhere.

Any idea of the name of the accommodation, as we stayed in one, but looked at a couple of others whilst there (long story)? so can give a bit of feedback if you want.

It might depend a little on the time of year you are there as well though as to exactly how nice it is....

Guest The Pom Queen

It might depend a little on the time of year you are there as well though as to exactly how nice it is....

This was my concern, no good coming up in cyclone season, although we were lucky last year.

Guest The Pom Queen
It would at least be interesting then though I guess :biglaugh:

(not that its not interesting the rest of the time, just - yo know what I mean - argh! lol)

Umm I remember when Yasi was heading our way and the way the media made it out to be a death sentence to us all. We brought everything in, taped the windows, filled the bath etc etc we even created a bunker, under 2 tables but by the time the kids and dog had got under there were no room for Rob and I. :laugh:

It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

I don't know what it would be like to live there but it's a wonderful place to visit.

I believe its around 4 hours from Cairns. However, take a look a mapmaker website, its very accurate at distances by car.

Dont stop at Port Douglas though, north of there is Daintree, Cape Tribulation and Cooktown.........heaven

I believe its around 4 hours from Cairns. However, take a look a mapmaker website, its very accurate at distances by car.

Hope you didn't get that info off an ('accurate') mapmaker website Bloby1000, 'cos if you did the speedo on my car is a very long way out - by around 4 times! - as we can get to PD from the south side of Cairns in just less than an hour (without speeding tickets ;-) ). To get to Cape Trib though it would take around 4 hours, so maybe that’s what you were meaning mate.

Agree with everything else you and others have said about it!

My parents (from the UK) love PD and reckon it's the best place they've visited in Oz (Cairns comes in second place) and so do we, hence we got married there and are heading up there first thing this coming Friday morning with a group of friends and family for a long weekend.

Millers – I’d go for it (and also head north a bit for a few days)….but check out when the deal is on / what the weather may be like at that time before you book and, if you can let us know where you would be staying in PD, we should be able to give you info on the accommodation etc.

Hope you didn't get that info off an ('accurate') mapmaker website Bloby1000, 'cos if you did the speedo on my car is a very long way out - by around 4 times! - as we can get to PD from the south side of Cairns in just less than an hour (without speeding tickets ;-) ). To get to Cape Trib though it would take around 4 hours, so maybe that’s what you were meaning mate.

Agree with everything else you and others have said about it!

My parents (from the UK) love PD and reckon it's the best place they've been to in Oz (Cairns comes in second place) and so do we – we’ll be heading up there with a group of friends and family this coming Friday morning for a long weekend.Hi ev

Millers – I’d go for it (and also head north a bit for a few days)….but check out when the deal is on / what the weather may be like at that time before you book and, if you can let us know where you would be staying in PD, we should be able to give you info on the accommodation etc.

Hi there everyone and thanks for your comments and advice.....

2 Bed Sunset Pool View apartment at this luxury 4.5-star resort- address is 19-37 Crispins Avenue

Port Douglas, Queensland - it recons 5 mins from the beach :) and we are planning to go mid january....is that a good idea????:arghh:

I like PD and it's a good jump off point to see the northern parts of the reef. We avoided the big charter companies that go out to the reef and got a private charter instead so we could go wherever we wanted to go and avoid the other tourists - it was excellent and worth every penny.

There are some good hotels in PD and great restaurants as well as heaps of touristy things to do.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi there everyone and thanks for your comments and advice.....

2 Bed Sunset Pool View apartment at this luxury 4.5-star resort- address is 19-37 Crispins Avenue

Port Douglas, Queensland - it recons 5 mins from the beach :) and we are planning to go mid january....is that a good idea????:arghh:

The accommodation would probably require a car. You would be coming in our wet season (cyclone season) so it really is pot luck. I always tell people to visit between May - November.

Sorry but can't comment on that particular accommodation (nor can the wife, who’s from round here) as we generally stay closer to town, but if it's 4.5 stars, I'm sure it'll be great! (all the places we've stayed in PD - hotels, holiday rental apartments / houses - have all been great (many that were rated less than 4.5 star!).

Crispins Av is just off the main street that goes into PD from the highway (around 3-4km from where it all goes on, dependent on which end of it you are at), so it'll be around a 30-40 min walk (with stuff here and there on the way), however, the sun bus runs frequently (and from memory doesn't cost a lot - only used it a couple of times about 4 years back), plus, some of the accommodation run courteousy buses into town.

Jan weather can be a bit hit and miss up here so one minute it can be beautiful sunshine and the next it will hammer it down for a bit and then clear up (you may get a run of days of sun....or a run of days of rain - plus it is pretty humid in Jan), however, the rain here doesn't stop things going on and at least it's always warm - just stick your shorts, T-shirt and flip-fops on and, if you do happen to get wet, you'll soon dry out!

On a slight downside, Jan is in the cyclone season, although I'm led to believe that Feb / March generally have the highest rate (but then again there may not be one at all - didn't see one last year, but it did get pretty windy at times).

Again, I'd go for it if I were in your shoes (have taken worse odds on hols in terms of weather (and social/political climate) in the past and all turned out really good!), but, if you aren't sure if it's for you, jump on the net and check out the general weather and temperature at that time of year, cyclone frequency etc and see if it's for you and yours.

Have fun whatever you decide and where you go for your hols!

Archived