wanting to come off sponsored 457 and become permanent resident

lilypop

Hi is there anybody out there who came here on a sponsored 457 visa and is now permanent resident??

Wanting to know the process for changing. I heard you had to be in the country for 2 years but i rang Immigration and they said you can get nominated or something from your company at any time.

Would be grateful for any info on this. I have been on the immigration site but its difficult to make sense of it.

Thanks in advance

You only have to wait 2 years if you don't want to do the skills test. If your employer is happy to go through the PR process and nominate you now you can lodge a PR application (providing you meet all the requirements).

Thanks for this. So is it the company that needs to take action first? Or do we apply and confirm them in the application as wishing to nominate us. Does this cost the company also?

I am pretty sure they will do this for us but it seems to me they do not know themselves what they need to do. Everybody who works for them seems to be put on the sponsored 457.

Is there any advice you could give to me in terms of what i should be asking them to do? Also any idea on the costs for us?

Thanks

I would like more info too, as hopefully going down the PR route after coming out on a 457 a while back. Im sure OH company he works for would be willing to go down the route before the 2 years is up, its more of a case of would we have the money that soon.

Could i just ask a couple of things: would you reccomend using the agent the company sponsoring on 457 used, or get someone else and although i know about doing the skills test before the two years, do you always have to do a medical (before or after the two years is up) Also what kinda costs would we be looking at

TIA

This is most likely to be the visa you are talking about:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-186/

This is great thank you.

Just been having a read and it seems before we apply we have to get the nomination from the company approved. How do they nominate you? Do they have to complete a form? If so do you know which one it is and how they do it? How we will we know when it is approved will the company be informed and they tell us?

Worried abit because it seems to take the company a while to do things, it would be easier if i can do all the sorting it out. Concerns me it may take them a while to do what they need to do. If i can help with the process would be much better.

As Tickeled said above you have a couple of options:

1. Employer Sponsored PR http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-186/ You would be 'direct entry' scheme as you haven't held your 457 for 2 years yet.

Your employer has to apply to be able to nominate you and then you can lodge an application (once you've completed the skills assessment, medical & police checks)

2. Independent EoI 189 Visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

This you do if you aren't being sponsored by your employer. You get a skills test, fill in all the forms (potentially do an ILETS test) and add up your points. You then submit an expession of interest and wait to be invited to apply.

Depending on where you live you may also qualify for a RSMS visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-187/ I went from a WHV to a PR RSMS visa this year, but Perth is a designated regional area.

You need to have a good read of all the information on the immi website, work out what is best for you and then if you are still unsure perhaps approach a migration agent to help you sort it out.

We've done all the paperwork etc ourselves, we found it very straight forward, and didn't need an agent - I've already put the link that gives you all the info, cost/criteria/transition pathways/notes for you and employer, etc in my post above.

It costs the employer roughly $500, and you roughly $3000. The employer needs to apply and be approved by DIAC, and then once they have approved them, DIAC move on to assess your application.

As you are going for PR, you will need a medical (about $250 ish), and police checks (42 GBP I think we paid).

This is great thank you.

Just been having a read and it seems before we apply we have to get the nomination from the company approved. How do they nominate you? Do they have to complete a form? If so do you know which one it is and how they do it? How we will we know when it is approved will the company be informed and they tell us?

Worried abit because it seems to take the company a while to do things, it would be easier if i can do all the sorting it out. Concerns me it may take them a while to do what they need to do. If i can help with the process would be much better.

The company needs to submit a whole load of paperwork, and there are specific criteria (as an Australian business) that they need to prove to DIAC. You are unlikely to be able to help with any of this...

As Tickeled said above you have a couple of options:

1. Employer Sponsored PR http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-186/ You would be 'direct entry' scheme as you haven't held your 457 for 2 years yet.

Your employer has to apply to be able to nominate you and then you can lodge an application (once you've completed the skills assessment, medical & police checks)

2. Independent EoI 189 Visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

This you do if you aren't being sponsored by your employer. You get a skills test, fill in all the forms (potentially do an ILETS test) and add up your points. You then submit an expession of interest and wait to be invited to apply.

Depending on where you live you may also qualify for a RSMS visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-187/ I went from a WHV to a PR RSMS visa this year, but Perth is a designated regional area.

You need to have a good read of all the information on the immi website, work out what is best for you and then if you are still unsure perhaps approach a migration agent to help you sort it out.

Thanks Nicola, your comments are very helpful.

Can i just ask how does the company nominate you with the department? Once i can tell them this then i should be able to do the rest and figure it all out from the info given previously.

Cheers hun

xx

Thanks Nicola, your comments are very helpful.

Can i just ask how does the company nominate you with the department? Once i can tell them this then i should be able to do the rest and figure it all out from the info given previously.

Cheers hun

The answer was given whilst i typed this up. Thank you for your help. Hmmmm doesn't sound good that the company have a lot to do. This may take a while. Well at least i can give them some info now and hopefully get the nomination started. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

We came on a 457 employer sponsership and after just over 2 years we got out employer nominated PR.

The employer was happy to do it before the two years, but we would of needed a skill assessment. Someone at his work had done this and told us it was a nightmare, so we waited. It was then straightforward.

Archived