Places to go within 4 hrs of Perth

Goochie

We've been here a month now and are keen to get out and about exploring WA. I know there are a few wildlife parks etc. within an hour of Perth and it's suburbs, but what is there beyond that which is close enough to go to and from in a day?

If you head north there are a few places that can be done in a day:

Yanchep - beautiful beach and lagoon there, also Yanchep National Park, great for Kangaroos, Kola's, has some caves you can do a tour in and also some lovely guided walks.

Guilderton - This has a lovely river mouth that you can do some kyacking on, very safe for the kids.

Lancelin - big 4wd playground here, can do some sandboarding (places hire them out) or if you have a 4wd take it on the dunes. Also a good place for windsurfing or kite surfing.

Cervantes - this is close to the Pinnacles which is good for a day trip, you can also have a look at the stromoloties (or however you spell it!) which are the oldest living organisims in the world!

Jurien Bay - this is a also a lovely little place, we did this for a long weekend rather than a day though. We went swimming with sealions here (as per my photo!) totally AMAZING!

South of Perth:

Mandurah - went on Sunday for the first time, was really nice along the foreshore, lots of playgrounds and bbq's. Some boat trips to see dolphins on the estury.

Bunbury - think you can feed dolphins here too.

Dwellingup - Lane Poole Reserve, great place for Kyacking, 4wding, camping, swimming in the river - general outdoorseyness!

East:

Mundaring/Kalamunda - More 4wding and scenic drives, there's a dam and a pumping station museum.

York - Quaint little town, oldest inland town in WA apparently!

There are plenty more places I'm sure, get yourself a copy of SCOOP Traveller (at all good newsagents) this is where we found out about all of the above, it's our bible!

If you head north there are a few places that can be done in a day:

Yanchep - beautiful beach and lagoon there, also Yanchep National Park, great for Kangaroos, Kola's, has some caves you can do a tour in and also some lovely guided walks.

Guilderton - This has a lovely river mouth that you can do some kyacking on, very safe for the kids.

Lancelin - big 4wd playground here, can do some sandboarding (places hire them out) or if you have a 4wd take it on the dunes. Also a good place for windsurfing or kite surfing.

Cervantes - this is close to the Pinnacles which is good for a day trip, you can also have a look at the stromoloties (or however you spell it!) which are the oldest living organisims in the world!

Jurien Bay - this is a also a lovely little place, we did this for a long weekend rather than a day though. We went swimming with sealions here (as per my photo!) totally AMAZING!

South of Perth:

Mandurah - went on Sunday for the first time, was really nice along the foreshore, lots of playgrounds and bbq's. Some boat trips to see dolphins on the estury.

Dwellingup - Lane Poole Reserve, great place for Kyacking, 4wding, camping, swimming in the river - general outdoorseyness!

East:

Mundaring/Kalamunda - More 4wding and scenic drives, there's a dam and a pumping station museum.

York - Quaint little town, oldest inland town in WA apparently!

There are plenty more places I'm sure, get yourself a copy of SCOOP Traveller (at all good newsagents) this is where we found out about all of the above, it's our bible!

You can Add moore river too.

If you have kids the Gravity Discovery Centre is a good day out. Seems to be in the middle of nowhere when you drive to it but surprisingly good.

http://www.gravitycentre.com.au/gingin-observatory/

If you have bikes there are some excellent bike rides to do up and down the coastal paths. A good one (just an example) would be Hillarys to Burns Beach.

Walyunga National Park is worth a visit as is John Forrest. There is an excellent bike trail (mountain bike) on the old railway track through John Forrest. Start at the bottom end in Midland and pick how far you want to go. Lovely picnic areas further up the trail that can be accessed by car.

within 4 hours of Perth: the ocean, the desert

within 8 hours of Perth: the ocean, the desert

within 10 hours of Perth: the ocean, the desert

within 12 hours of Perth: the ocean, the desert

within 28 hours of Perth: Adelaide

but you have to drive 37 hours to reach civilisation in Melbourne LOL

just joking :wink:

• 2 months later...

You can swim with dolphins in Bunbury (if they're in the mood for swimming with you). You can also I think do that in Rockingham, which is considerably closer.

4 hours would get you as far as the Margaret River region, according to googlemaps (it's a few years since I was last out west, it used to take longer!) Margaret River is lovely, chocolate factory, wineries, caves and great surfing. And there's a whole bunch of lovely beaches along the coast from Busselton down past Margaret River that you can visit. That would be a long day out, but it would be doable. I'd recommend a weekend though!

Archived