Another Driving Licence Query

Guest pabloke99

Guest pabloke99

If my 18 year old son passes his driving test here in UK will he qualify for an Australian licence when we move later this year, even though he will have held a full licence for only 6 months?

We had planned to wait until we got to Oz before teaching him to drive, thinking that he would only have to re-take when we moved. Is it just as expensive to learn to drive in Oz?

Hi,

I cant see why he would have any problems if he produced a full english licence or that he shold have to re take the test, all you basiclly do here is produce your uk licence and they give you an aussie one (which have to pay for of course) i can see where you are coming from re the time frame that he would of had his licence - have a look at RTA Home Page could be somthing on there to help you

good luck

gizmo

Licencing for driving cars in oz is slightly different than in the UK. Basically, there are three levels of licence for a car driver -

1) Learner licence - must be with a fully licenced driver in the card

2) Provisional licence - a driver that has recently passed their driving tests and is required for 3 years

3) Fulllicence - issued on completion of Provisional period

The provisional licence is subject to a number of restrictions as to things like speed limits and bloood alcohol levels.

Checking the RTA website for NSW, a driver from overseas applying for a licence in NSW will be issued a P1 provisional licence if they have had a licence for less than 12 months. A P2 provisional licence will be issued for a driver with between 1 year and 3 years experience.

There are also a number of tests that need to be passed to move from one stage of licencing to the next.

:wacko:

Guest pabloke99
Licencing for driving cars in oz is slightly different than in the UK. Basically, there are three levels of licence for a car driver -

1) Learner licence - must be with a fully licenced driver in the card

2) Provisional licence - a driver that has recently passed their driving tests and is required for 3 years

3) Fulllicence - issued on completion of Provisional period

The provisional licence is subject to a number of restrictions as to things like speed limits and bloood alcohol levels.

Checking the RTA website for NSW, a driver from overseas applying for a licence in NSW will be issued a P1 provisional licence if they have had a licence for less than 12 months. A P2 provisional licence will be issued for a driver with between 1 year and 3 years experience.

There are also a number of tests that need to be passed to move from one stage of licencing to the next.

:wacko:

Thanks for that guys, I'll follow that link and see what best suits him - he'll be paying for most of it!

Archived