Gluten free food

SuzieH

Hi does anyone have any info on gluten free foods that you can buy in Australia and what sort of price they are. Also does anyone know whether you can take it over with you in a suitcase. Need to know for when my mother-in-law visits us in the future.

Any advice would be great thanks :err::biggrin:

Hi does anyone have any info on gluten free foods that you can buy in Australia and what sort of price they are. Also does anyone know whether you can take it over with you in a suitcase. Need to know for when my mother-in-law visits us in the future.Any advice would be great thanks :err::biggrin:

Gluten free foods are available in most stores Inc the local IGA's. Slightly more expensive, but the range is good. No need to haul your diet over in a suitcase, its already here in OZ.

I find gluten free very easy to find here in Oz and mostly better quality than I got in Uk.

Where are you?

This is one place I use because I live in the Western suburbs of Melbourne, it is in Werribee but there is another shop in Deer Park and one in South Melbourne.

http://www.absolutelyglutenfree.com.au/cgi-bin/agfshop

You can usually find good choices in most places, I have eaten in plenty of places that clearly mark the menu and offer gluten free pasta or pizza bases. We were in a restaurant soon after arriving here and the waiter heard me discussing what I thought I could eat and he got the chef who said pick what you want and I will adjust to suit, he had wheat free options for sauces etc and really made me feel like it was no trouble.

I have also brought stuff with me on the plane, only ever 'sealed' things like hot cross buns, crumpets from Waitrose or Sainsburys in vacuum packed wrappings. BUT make sure she declares it, that way if customs decide it is not allowed it just gets binned rather than MIL getting a potential fine.

I find gluten free very easy to find here in Oz and mostly better quality than I got in Uk.

Where are you?

This is one place I use because I live in the Western suburbs of Melbourne, it is in Werribee but there is another shop in Deer Park and one in South Melbourne.

http://www.absolutelyglutenfree.com.au/cgi-bin/agfshop

You can usually find good choices in most places, I have eaten in plenty of places that clearly mark the menu and offer gluten free pasta or pizza bases. We were in a restaurant soon after arriving here and the waiter heard me discussing what I thought I could eat and he got the chef who said pick what you want and I will adjust to suit, he had wheat free options for sauces etc and really made me feel like it was no trouble.

I have also brought stuff with me on the plane, only ever 'sealed' things like hot cross buns, crumpets from Waitrose or Sainsburys in vacuum packed wrappings. BUT make sure she declares it, that way if customs decide it is not allowed it just gets binned rather than MIL getting a potential fine.

Thanks we will be on the Gold Coast :)

You should be fine carrying it in luggage its just making sure you declare on the landing card you are carrying foodstuffs. That way if its not allowed in for any reason then you won't get fined. Will only have the not allowed stuff disposed of. No fruit, veg etc of course, but pre packed foods and so on should be ok.

Archived