457 and pregnancy.

Wendy Robinson

Just after a bit of info for a friend....My O/H work mate and his family are in Perth on a 457 visa, his wife has just found out she is pregnant.

Now, am I right in thinking that they won't have to pay any medical bills (except scans and blood tests) due to the pregnancy under the reciprocal agreement with the UK?

Basically will medicare cover the pregnancy?.....they are worried they will have to pay for the pregnancy, delivery and hospital stay.

As far as I'm aware they don't have private health insurance and are already registered with Medicare.

Now to confuse things a little bit more:wacko:...The family are originally from South Africa, but moved to Perth from the UK,on a 457 work sponsored visa..... will this affect the reciprocal agreement?, as they South Africans, not british... I'm not sure whether they have British citizenship.

Sorry if it's not making much sense, but any info will be greatly appreciated.

Wendy x

The recipricol arrangements are based on residency - not nationality. So if your SA friends are usually resident in the UK then they would qualify for Medicare .You say they have already registered for Medicare anyway (how did they do this if they weren't eligible?). If they already have a Medicare card, then they should be covered for the pregnancy no problem.

The recipricol arrangements are based on residency - not nationality. So if your SA friends are usually resident in the UK then they would qualify for Medicare .You say they have already registered for Medicare anyway - if they already have a Medicare card, then they should be covered for the pregnancy no problem.

I was kind of hoping that given they already have Medicare they would be entitled to the same level of care as PR.

I think it may be best they head down to Medicare and speak to them.

Thanks NickyNook.

Archived