Renting in Point Cook

jimbobandrachel

Hi all PIO's

We have been looking at the Point Cook area of Melbourne with a view to renting when we get out to Melbourne. Although I'll be studying at Holmesglen we picked this area cos it's new and looks very nice. Also, rentals seem quite cheap for what you get. I realise that the commute by car from Point Cook to Holmesglen will take around 30-40 mins, but that doesn't bother us as we're after a better quality of life.

For those of you living in Point Cook, are there any local boozers to help you unwind (preferably ones that have Poker nights) after work, and what are the local shops like?

I gather it takes around 20 mins to commute into Melbourne via the train from Laverton (i think).

All info greatly received

Cheers

Jim

Guest T and family

hi we are heading out there 14th march. and are renting in point cook and buying ther when we can sell uk house..

seems that there is more bars in the areas of laverton seabrook werribee area so not to far for you

point cook is still under construction and they are only just finishing the shopping centre etc so we will see if new nightspots arise

hi we are heading out there 14th march. and are renting in point cook and buying ther when we can sell uk house..

seems that there is more bars in the areas of laverton seabrook werribee area so not to far for you

point cook is still under construction and they are only just finishing the shopping centre etc so we will see if new nightspots arise

Hi Guys

You'll have to update us when you land in Point Cook, so we have a better idea of what to expect.

Keep in touch

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kelly.stobbart@sky.com

Hi we are looking to move to Point cook or Hoopers crossing in the next few months could you let me know what your thoughts are when you get there. xxx Kellie:spinny:

Hi all PIO's

We have been looking at the Point Cook area of Melbourne with a view to renting when we get out to Melbourne. Although I'll be studying at Holmesglen we picked this area cos it's new and looks very nice. Also, rentals seem quite cheap for what you get. I realise that the commute by car from Point Cook to Holmesglen will take around 30-40 mins, but that doesn't bother us as we're after a better quality of life.

For those of you living in Point Cook, are there any local boozers to help you unwind (preferably ones that have Poker nights) after work, and what are the local shops like?

I gather it takes around 20 mins to commute into Melbourne via the train from Laverton (i think).

All info greatly received

Cheers

Jim

Don't want to piddle on your bonfire but there is no way that you would get to Holmsglen from Point Cook in 40 minutes if you are travelling at peak hours - peak hours being 6am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm. You would be lucky to be able to get onto the freeway in 40 minutes some mornings! Express trains, which only run in the height of the peak take around 20 minutes but normal travel time is nearer 40 minutes.

The other thing which needs to be taken into account is parking at the station. If you are parked by 7.30 am at Laverton, you should be ok but after that, you need to allow 20 mins to park your car and get onto the platform. The other thing is that as Point Cook continues to expand, the houses are further and further away from the station and freeway. When real estate agents tell you that Point Cook is 20 minutes from the CBD, they mean once you are on the freeway and not at peak travelling time! Beware!!!

On a lighter note but still worth serious consideration is not to be fooled into thinking that these new outer suburbs are quaint little villages. The sprawl is unbelievable and the distances between places enormous! The ONLY place that even resembles a pub in Point Cook is the Sanctuary Lakes Golf Clubhouse and even that is closed by 8pm most nights! If you are social butterflies and like a community where you can pop out for a stroll to the pub you'll need to cross Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes off your list. It does, however, having many positives!

Good luck!

Nelson

• 3 weeks later...

Point Cook does not officially have any boozers as such yet.

There is a new shopping centre being built on the corner of Dunnings Road and Boardwalk Bvd which is going to have a tavern.

Up the road in Werribee and Hoppers Crossing there are plenty of pubs/clubs in an easy 5 minute drive.

As Nelson said, the 20 minute city rule is out the window in peak hour. With th enew roads being built and if you know the back way to the freeways, you can make good progress.

The problem with Point Cook, it has one main road in and out, which cars seem to line up for a bit, and there is a school as well on it which slows traffic down.

There is the Boardwalk Bvd and Forsyth Road alternative though.

Archived