Accounting work experience and 189/190 visas

jamescookson

Hello

I am starting to put together my EOI evdience for the 189 and 190 skilled migration visas. I am an accountant and so I intend to try and apply for the 190 visa in NSW (this is where i am currently living and working) in addition to the more flexible 189.

After graduating from uni with an economics degree I worked for 6 years as an acountant in the UK prior to travelling to Aus.

For the 1st 3 years I worked for a big four firm where i passed my accounting exams and gained the 3 years experience required to become chartered. This is standard in the UK and I think that you need the 3 years experience for other accounting qualifications such as CIMA.

I have spoken with the Australian Institute of Chartered accountants and it appears that they will only look at my employment history for the skilled employment assessment from the date that I became qualified. This also seems to be the case with the CPA.

This only gives me 3 years relevant experince in my skills assessent and therefore I will only achive 5 points on the skills slect score instead of 10 points that I had initially expected (for 5 years +).

The questions that I have are:

1) Will DIAC only look at the work expereince that is included within the skilled employment assessment? As such can I 'claim' the 10 points?

2) Has anyone else spotted/encountered this problem and if so was there a positive result? It seems nonsense to me that 3 years financial audit employment would not be assessed as it is highly relevant to my skills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello james,

In the same situation, and posted a similar question a few days back. I was given the following advice:

1. If you have a degree prior to studying your accounting qualification then CPA may accept work undertaken whilst studying for this. (i.e they may appove your 6 years experience)

2. Regardless of what CPA or ICAA 'approve' as skilled work experience this does not mean that DIAC will also approve. Your work experience will be at the discression of your CO.

I'm still hoping that someone will on this site will be able to advise whether DIAC will allow the work undertaken whilst qualifying to count in your skilled employement points.

If i find out anything else i'll let you know.

thanks

Thanks morana. I will let you know if there is anything that I can find out. I would like to think that we would still get credit. I'm sure that doctors must get credit, it just seems like a very strict position that the institutes are taking. I am also looking into whether I can combine the relevant units that I passed from uni and Aca to get my skilled employment assessment early.

I'll let you know if I get anywhere

Hey there,

Im a CA and I also applied. Whatever the assessing bodies say, the DIAC considers skilled employment to be from when you graduate from your degree and start working in full time, paid employment. Full time paid employment must be at least 20 hours a week and in your field.

:)

Hi all,

Hope the following may help. I'm a CIMA qualified accountant and had my skills assessed by ICAA. I've been in full time employment since graduating from university. ICAA "started the clock" from when I became CIMA qualified and therefore didn't acknowledge any of my 3 years experience prior to then. I did explore this with them as it made the difference between 5 years and 8 years being assessed. I was advised that in order to have the 1st three years assessed I would need to provide extensive material from my university (course handouts for every course). Having spoken to the course administrator this was just not something they could provide. So I decided to sit an IELTS test to get more points through this route (getting a good score on IELTS - avg of 8) gets you more points than the work experience.

So far so good. We were assigned a case officer 2 weeks ago and they haven't challenged any of the skills assessment so far.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your reply (thanks also to Dono).

Congratulations on being asigned a CO. Hopefully you are on the finishing straight now!

Can I ask if you still entered the 3 years work experience (pre qualification) on your EOI? My reading into Dono's reply was that this is ok and it could still count in DIAC's eyes (I can provide a reference letter etc) but I dont want to put it down on the EOI if it needs a skilled employment assessment post invitation and would therefore jeopardise the whole thing.

Thanks again

James

Hello

I am starting to put together my EOI evdience for the 189 and 190 skilled migration visas. I am an accountant and so I intend to try and apply for the 190 visa in NSW (this is where i am currently living and working) in addition to the more flexible 189.

After graduating from uni with an economics degree I worked for 6 years as an acountant in the UK prior to travelling to Aus.

For the 1st 3 years I worked for a big four firm where i passed my accounting exams and gained the 3 years experience required to become chartered. This is standard in the UK and I think that you need the 3 years experience for other accounting qualifications such as CIMA.

I have spoken with the Australian Institute of Chartered accountants and it appears that they will only look at my employment history for the skilled employment assessment from the date that I became qualified. This also seems to be the case with the CPA.

This only gives me 3 years relevant experince in my skills assessent and therefore I will only achive 5 points on the skills slect score instead of 10 points that I had initially expected (for 5 years +).

The questions that I have are:

1) Will DIAC only look at the work expereince that is included within the skilled employment assessment? As such can I 'claim' the 10 points?

2) Has anyone else spotted/encountered this problem and if so was there a positive result? It seems nonsense to me that 3 years financial audit employment would not be assessed as it is highly relevant to my skills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

May I suggest that you obtain correct advice from a registered migration agent?

No problem James. I actually submitted my application pre-July 1st, so not through skillsselect. My initial application, however, was from date of Graduation to PRESENT. I think if you are confident that you could get adequate paperwork from University to demonstrate that you were effectively a part-qual accountant from the moment you graduated, then you have a fighting chance. However, I have read on previous threads that there is sometimes a risk with EOI requests if you "over value" your submission from a points perspective.

We are using a great migration agent. If you could like info - feel free to private message me and I can provide their details. They can provide a free assessment of your situation.

Cheers,

Jamie.

• 3 months later...
No problem James. I actually submitted my application pre-July 1st, so not through skillsselect. My initial application, however, was from date of Graduation to PRESENT. I think if you are confident that you could get adequate paperwork from University to demonstrate that you were effectively a part-qual accountant from the moment you graduated, then you have a fighting chance. However, I have read on previous threads that there is sometimes a risk with EOI requests if you "over value" your submission from a points perspective.

We are using a great migration agent. If you could like info - feel free to private message me and I can provide their details. They can provide a free assessment of your situation.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Hi guys

This may be too late but thought I would update you. I submitted my EOI last week and have just received my invitation. I received 80 points. Re the ICAEW issue I took your advice Jamie and provided extensive course information. The ICAA fortunately gave me credit for this and so i could claim to have 5 years work experience which helped me get to 80 points.

Hope that helps

James

• 4 weeks later...

Archived