457 Advice, Help and Views Please

Guest jso123

Hi everyone,

I am being sponsored by an internet marketing company in WA - which I am very happy about. They are a registered company and have sponsored people before.

The issue is that I dont have a degree, which I know is very helpful with a 457. I do have 5 years experience, just under 6 years in total. I have worked for myself the last 4 years in the UK, so I know I have to give 'proof' of my work and experience, which I can do for those 4 years.

I have 2 concerns really:

The first is the 5th year of my experience was for a family business where I handled the online marketing activities - all very relevant to the job. I just wonder if it would flag issues with the reference coming from a family member?!

The second is that I am just past the threshold for relevant experience. Will this go against me? Or is it as simple as having 5 years is enough?

I am realistic and know that there is a chance it might not go through, but I just wondered if anyone could shed some light / reassurance / advice on my particular situation. Is there anything I can do on my application that would strengthen my case?

Thanks!

Jonathan

It's different for a 457 than getting an independent visa.

We went down the 457 route simply because DH doesn't have a degree (he has a diploma) and it was the experience that really counted.

I don't know about all of your questions but I'm pretty sure that if you have 5 years that is enough - it won't matter if it's 5 or 15.

I would think that the company sponsoring you, especially if they have done it before, will have an idea of whether you match the criteria so don't worry about it too much.

Good luck.

Hi everyone,

I am being sponsored by an internet marketing company in WA - which I am very happy about. They are a registered company and have sponsored people before.

The issue is that I dont have a degree, which I know is very helpful with a 457. I do have 5 years experience, just under 6 years in total. I have worked for myself the last 4 years in the UK, so I know I have to give 'proof' of my work and experience, which I can do for those 4 years.

I have 2 concerns really:

The first is the 5th year of my experience was for a family business where I handled the online marketing activities - all very relevant to the job. I just wonder if it would flag issues with the reference coming from a family member?!

The second is that I am just past the threshold for relevant experience. Will this go against me? Or is it as simple as having 5 years is enough?

I am realistic and know that there is a chance it might not go through, but I just wondered if anyone could shed some light / reassurance / advice on my particular situation. Is there anything I can do on my application that would strengthen my case?

Thanks!

Jonathan

It will depend on a number of issues.

The occupation nominated on the 457 nomination application will determine the skill level requirement, i.e. qualifications, employment, licencing, ect.

If it is an occupation where employment experience can substitute for formal qualifications, the required skill level of the occupation will again determining if 3 or 5 years of experience are required.

If you are relying on employment experience alone, you will need to provide strong documentation to evidence the claimed employment.

It will depend on a number of issues.

The occupation nominated on the 457 nomination application will determine the skill level requirement, i.e. qualifications, employment, licencing, ect.

If it is an occupation where employment experience can substitute for formal qualifications, the required skill level of the occupation will again determining if 3 or 5 years of experience are required.

If you are relying on employment experience alone, you will need to provide strong documentation to evidence the claimed employment.

Thanks for all the comments.

Firstly I found the company by chance and just applying to jobs in my niche. With Internet marketing we are ahead of Australia in the UK, so my skill level and set was pretty good in comparison, hence the reason they want to sponsor. Also we talked about sponsorship in the very first interview. Some people dont like to do that for some reason, but I think its a good idea because at least you get a feel about whether its an option or not before you waste time.

In regards to the strong evidence, what constitutes strong evidence?

Fact is I have a company that will give me a reference for 18 months in Internet marketing, I had a limited company for 24 months which I can provide bank dets, office insurance docs, accountant books, companies house doc and a written reference from the other director on company headed paper. Finally I was an internet marketing contractor for about 20 months which I can provide bank dets, work contracts, work emails relating to the contracts, accountants reference and several written references from some of my bigger clients.

Like I say I have the experience and the evidence but its not like have 1 employer reference for 10 years or 1 relevant degree where the process is really simple because its all covered in 1 document.

Is there anything else I will need to provide?

Thanks for your replies again guys, really helping me get a bit of piece of mind!