Anyone thinking of relocating to Europe?

Buddy4

I appreciate Europe is in a bit of a mess financially at the moment, and jobs are in short supply, but in the space of the last month, I have heard of a few people we know, either directly or through someone else, moving to Europe. One guy I know is a geologist whose company has a mine in North Africa, and he has moved his family to Spain, where he will travel from there. We know another couple, whose kids have now left home, who are now relocating to France, as it would place them in location halfway between their kids, one in Canada, and one in Holland. We have just heard of another couple moving to France too.

Most of these people would appear to have done ok out of Perth's property market over the years, and with the Aussie dollar still stong againt teh Euro, and the price of European property coming way off the boil, it would appear to be a good time to be doing this, as long as they can fund their lifestyle.

I thought I would start a thead on this.

Guest The Pom Queen

I know people who have, but personally I don't ever want to move from FNQ. OH has always fancied France and I have to admit there are some stunning properties there.

We live in Spain and so far have managed to "ride out the storm" of the Eurozone Crisis, but who knows what will happen in time. We would also rather sell our business whilst it is "doing OK". If you have an income from outside of Spain, then you should be OK. My OH has friends who work on the Rigs. Their families live here and they commute backwards and forwards without too much fuss. We also know cabin crew and London cabbies who also do the same. Housing is very cheap to buy here at the moment. The cost of living is also very low compared to other European countries. On the other hand, if you needed to rely on an income from Spain, forget it. The unemployment rate is currently 24%.

My old employer from Sydders has relocated to France. The reason being, good exchange rate and also to be closer to her daughter in the UK.

Europe is our(well,my!)plan B,if the hse doesnt sell i doubt we'l be able to go to Aus,Spain is in a bad way,as Candy has said,BUT if yer can get in with the right people and get work now is a good time to go because of hse prices etc,also considering Cyprus,because i have mates there.

Re Spain,one of our mates went on holiday,while he was there he was asked if he would do a cpl of days painting a flat,he did and was inundated with work,gave up his decent job with the water board here and now living in Spain,so i guess if yer lucks in??

I need a change anyway,cba staying here under this tory gvnmt,will look at all options for a change,liked Playa Blanca in Lanzarote,so might look into that if Aus doesnt come off

We will go back eventually, since we only came to Oz because of the work. South of France or Italy most likely although I could happily live in Holland, Sweden or Spain. I think once the OH retires and we have 1 income sorted, I will go back to my translating work and we will try to live somewhere quite rural. Of course if an opportunity comes up sooner, we will be back!

Europe is our(well,my!)plan B,if the hse doesnt sell i doubt we'l be able to go to Aus,Spain is in a bad way,as Candy has said,BUT if yer can get in with the right people and get work now is a good time to go because of hse prices etc,also considering Cyprus,because i have mates there.

Re Spain,one of our mates went on holiday,while he was there he was asked if he would do a cpl of days painting a flat,he did and was inundated with work,gave up his decent job with the water board here and now living in Spain,so i guess if yer lucks in??

I need a change anyway,cba staying here under this tory gvnmt,will look at all options for a change,liked Playa Blanca in Lanzarote,so might look into that if Aus doesnt come off

That's the key to living in Spain Pablo, if you have a good business and enough work, you will be OK. More and more people we are meeting are selling up in the UK, moving their families over here lock, stock and barrell and commuting back every couple of weeks. One London cabbie we know, works 24/7 in London one week, then relaxes in Spain for a week etc and then goes back for another week and so on. The Riggers are 2 or 3 on, 2 or 3 off. One senior one we know who travels to Mexico, is one month on, one month off. Good work if you can get it.

We want to spend several years there at some point in the next 5-10yrs. Where exactly will depend on jobs, and how cold a climate I can persuade my OH that he can cope with... Of course life being life, we'll probably accidentally end up having an adventure on a completely different continent.

I'd happily live in Europe again (used to live in Sweden and I've worked in 3 other continental Euro nations, but not lived in them)

Not at the moment though. Still lots to play out in the Eurozone meltdown and it won't be pretty I'm afraid, IMO anyway. Like all times of economic turbulence, if you have an occupation that keeps you under the radar and you can keep employed, you can do quite well as life tends to get cheaper so long as you've still got a decent income coming in. Unfortunately if you have a job that relies to a substantial extent on the normal functioning of capital markets, as I do, then capital markets that are a basket case do not make for a secure income.....

I would love to live in France personally, not sure about working there though (too much corruption). And I'm not sure the wife would be keen. Similar story for Germany - I like it, I *could* work there but I'm not sure the wife would like it. Plus I'd have to work hard on the language. My missus loves Italy and would live there, I like it but again there'd be a big language learning curve for me and I couldn't work there in a million years. So it would be a retirement option and tbh, do I really want to retire to another foreign country? Probably not

Good luck to all making or considering the move though

:-)

Archived