Confused

Anika

I'm a little bit confused. My OH and I are finally flying to Australia on the 13th October with Singapore Airlines to start our new life down under (or rather for him it's just going back home). From my contact with Singapore airlines I understand that I can get double baggage allowance as I will be travelling over on an as yet un-validated spouse visa. Now my question is, how many suitcases can I actually take? The reason I ask is that I have a wedding dress which takes up one suitcase by itself, it's of the big poofy variety and therefore I can't store it in the overhead locker and I don't want to risk shipping it. Therefore I'd need a second suitcase for my clothes and my OH would have his own suitcase (or rather his large backpack), we're therefore looking at 3 bits of luggage to check in plus our hand luggage, has anyone had experience with this and know if I'm likely to encounter any issues at check in? Thanks :biggrin:

Just verifying that you have the Permanent spouse visa rather than the temporary one? If so, then yes you get double the luggage allowance, i.e. 40kg. Given that any one bag cannot be more than 32kg, that means you HAVE to take two. So you'll be fine. enjoy the trip :)

Just verifying that you have the Permanent spouse visa rather than the temporary one? If so, then yes you get double the luggage allowance, i.e. 40kg. Given that any one bag cannot be more than 32kg, that means you HAVE to take two. So you'll be fine. enjoy the trip :)

I have the 309 spouse visa which is the temporary one but I was hoping that as it states on my grant letter that I have permission to stay in Australia indefinitely this would be ok for the double baggage allowance. To be honest I'm going to struggle with just 20kg if that's all I'm allowed as my dress alone already weighs at least a couple.

Guest The Pom Queen

When we got married overseas they didn't include my wedding dress in the allowance and they had a special area to store it. I know this is a different situation but you could ask, just make sure you get everything in writing

We got married in Vegas so I had to take my dress from the UK on the plane. I had the choice to put it into the wardrobe of first class. I decided against this as I thought it might get damaged or creased so the wedding shop packed the dress neatly for me in a box which fitted snugly in a suitcase in the end. You could contact the airline beforehand and ask if they have special provisions for wedding dresses.

Good Luck.

I would recommend emailing singapore airlines with your visa details, explaining that you are migrating permanently and that your visa is a transitional visa that gets upgraded to permanent (also mention that your OH is also migrating, even though he's a citizen). see what they reply (and this way you have something on paper to take to the airport with you). You may not get the full double allowance, but they should give you something, which between you, should be enough for the dress.

Archived