Budget to live comfortably in Sydney

Clankaroo

Hi,

What would be the income you need to live comfortably in Sydney as a single person ? By comfortably i mean living in a housing in good condition without having long commute time to the CBD (say 30 min or less, one way) and still be able to save money and have money left for leisure, etc.. Particularly housing seems to be excessively expensive. Would 100K$/year be enough or is it a bit short ? How much would I get after tax with a 100K$/year salary ?

Thanks all

Totally depends on your lifestyle. We are a family of four, living on a salary of $65k and manage okay. Having said that, although we have a lovely home, we did have a big deposit and therefore a smallish mortgage, and we have a fairly low-key social life having small children! Have a look at http://www.domain.com.au and http://www.realestate.com.au for ideas of rental prices, http://www.cityrail.com.au for train line details and commute times, and then use google maps to get a feel for where things are. You would probably be fine on $100k, but it does depend on what sort of things you like to do/buy.

Single on 100K should be more than OK. $500 a week to rent a one bedroom flat and another $500 to live comfortably on. I know a young bloke who pays $200 per week to share a terrace house in Surry Hills and I'm pretty sure he told me he takes home $1200 or even $1400 a week. With no mortgage or rent to pay, I'm living very comfortably on a take home of about $700 per week.

Hey, im looking to move to the Sydney area and work as a Midwife. Starting salary is around 50k p/a and my partner wants to be a primary school teacher (no idea what the salary is for that) Is it best to live Sydney CC or up to an hour outside of the city? Id want a house with at least 2 bedrooms and a garden to rent. Ben

Hey, im looking to move to the Sydney area and work as a Midwife. Starting salary is around 50k p/a and my partner wants to be a primary school teacher (no idea what the salary is for that) Is it best to live Sydney CC or up to an hour outside of the city? Id want a house with at least 2 bedrooms and a garden to rent. Ben

Have a look at www.domain.com.au.

Guest henrykelly

Thanks for posting the salary calculator, very useful. I was going to ask a similar Q Clankaroo so thanks!

I'm hoping to get by on my similar $105k salary until my fiancee finds work (she's on my 457 visa), judging from the responses above it sounds doable as long as I'm sensible. I'm not expecting to save money looking at rent and grocery costs though! I thought coming from central London I'd find it cheap, doesn't look that way!

Totally depends on your lifestyle. We are a family of four, living on a salary of $65k and manage okay. Having said that, although we have a lovely home, we did have a big deposit and therefore a smallish mortgage, and we have a fairly low-key social life having small children! Have a look at www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au for ideas of rental prices, www.cityrail.com.au for train line details and commute times, and then use google maps to get a feel for where things are. You would probably be fine on $100k, but it does depend on what sort of things you like to do/buy.

Makes a pleasant change reading that,in view of a few threads lately saying they cant manage on hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.....................

Archived