Need Help on Visa Choice...

Abbi13

Hey Everyone!

I'll just quickly explain my story... I am 17 years old and have had to move back to the UK because I can't stay alone until I am 18 obviously and my parents wanted to come back. Anyways I was almost a permanent resident but then I missed out and now I am not. When I am 18 years old I wish to return by myself to live...But I don't know what visa to choose. I looked at Student Visa but to do a course is like $19,000 just for a year :/ so I looked at the Skilled Migrant Visa and the industry I have qualifications in...Travel and Tourism, is not on the list :/

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! what visa should i try and get now?

Thanks Guys!

Hi,

you could try for a 457 business sponsor visa then after 2 years apply for permanent residency. however, you will need to get a company in Aus to sponsor you. Alternatively you can do what I did. I came over on a working holiday visa, my employer wanted me to work permanently so sponsored me and I ended up on a 457 visa then after 2 years i applied for my permanent Visa. never to return from a 1 year holiday!!!

To be honest Abbi, at this point in time, you stand very little hope of getting a 457 visa. Firstly, you would need to find an employer to sponsor you - something that many people on this very website, that have lots of years of experience and qualifications are struggling to go. Secondly, is that to qualify for this visa an Australian company needs to prove to DIAC they cannot recruit an Australian to do that particular job. The people that generally fill these kinds of rolls are very skilled, and generally very experienced in what they do.

There are people that have gone to Australia on working holiday visas, and ended up being sponsored, but I am guessing that these people are a few years older than you, and have the qualifications that are in demand. I would guess that at only 17 you have not quite had time to get these yet.

BUT, the good news is that you are so young! You have years and years ahead of you to decide what you want to do as a career, how you want to qualify - whether that be going to Uni, or learning a trade (both offer pathways to residency visas in Australia), and finally, getting that all important experience within your chosen profession, so that you ARE a person with skills in demand.

You can get a working holiday visa, go for a year, and see how you like it there alone, but be prepared that this may well not lead you to a long term option.

Hey Everyone!

I'll just quickly explain my story... I am 17 years old and have had to move back to the UK because I can't stay alone until I am 18 obviously and my parents wanted to come back. Anyways I was almost a permanent resident but then I missed out and now I am not. When I am 18 years old I wish to return by myself to live...But I don't know what visa to choose. I looked at Student Visa but to do a course is like $19,000 just for a year :/ so I looked at the Skilled Migrant Visa and the industry I have qualifications in...Travel and Tourism, is not on the list :/

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! what visa should i try and get now?

Thanks Guys!

You probably need to park Australia for the time being, get on with your education and career and come back to it in the future. When you are 18 yes you could get a WHV but if you are unskilled and inexperienced it is very unlikely that you will find it leads to a sponsorship offer. You only get one WHV in your lifetime, don't waste it at 18, save it until your 20s when you might be able to make make a realistic go of it.

Hey,

thanks for the replies...

i do have qualifications in travel and tourism. i have an extended advanced diploma. but i understand where you are all coming from..

i have figured out what i am going to do though. i am going to travel there on a working holiday visa, and then i am going to return back to the uk. then i shall apply for a de facto relationship visa, as i have been and still will be in a relationship by then for approx 3 years... you probably will think its not gonna happen cos i am so young, but thats my plan for now and i hope you all respect my decision :D

ps im pretty much 18, i should have said i was 18 instead of 17..

As you have found what you are qualified in is not on the SOL or CSOL so sponsorship or GSM would not likely be an option for you. Unless you decided to study something else which is in demand in Australia?

But you have options - if you go over on a WHV, you could stay for 2 years if you do the 3 months of specified regional work. And you could apply for your Partner Visa, once you have built up enough evidence to show that you are in a committed and genuine relationship, which would require things like joint bank accounts, tenancy agreements etc.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Booklet 1 has the information regarding the partner visas - and there is a section that describes which kind of evidence that they require to show that you are in a defacto relationship.

Archived